Long Term Ownership

Discussion in '2004 - 2008 Ford F150 Truck Forum' started by 1saxman, Dec 17, 2023.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. 1saxman

I bought my 2007 F150 on Jan. 2, 2007. It has been great and trouble-free and it only has 35,000 miles on it. I change the oil every year whether it needs it or not :). My state inspection is in December so that's when I get the oil changed. I had been noticing a suspension noise in the last two uses of the truck. Then while working on leaves in the yard I found a hard, cracked/broken small rubber bushing at the end of the driveway - I thought maybe it had come from a random vehicle going down the street.
    So, waiting for the call to come get the truck after the inspection/oil change, I did get the call but it was to tell me that the truck needed sway bar end links. So that old bushing was mine, and when I drove it home, it was like a new truck. Those bushings must have been hard/compressed for a long time.
    I take this as notice that I need to be checking a lot more stuff in that truck to avoid any unpleasant surprises, like a coolant hose cracking.

Tags:
  2. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

My 2006 has about 50,000 miles, and I've only put about 2500 miles on it the past 10 years of that. I have to keep on top of maintenance according to time instead of mileage.

Atmospheric oxygen will eventually break down most rubber bushings, and belts. Even when I'm not driving it, I start it occasionally and let it run at full temp for a while.

3. 1saxman

Yep, mine is on its third set of tires, none of which were worn out - they developed deep cracks and failed inspection. At 8 years on the original set, I had a blowout one day on the interstate. The tire split radially from the bead to the tread. I have never had a vehicle this long. This XL is a 'base model' which was advertised for $12,888 in December of 2006. It has the 4.2L V6 and manual 5 speed along with PS, PB and A/C.

4. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

According to Tire Rack, 6-10 years from date of manufacture is a good rule of thumb, depending on condition of the tire. That agrees with Bridgestone saying 10 years max regardless of the condition of the tire.

5. 1saxman

The best 'rule of thumb' is to inspect your tires for cracks because conditions are different in all locations. Here in VA, if the cracks show woven material they will fail inspection.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >