Looking at F150's with the 5.0

Discussion in '2009 - 2014 Ford F150 Truck Forum' started by bigrigfixer, May 23, 2015.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. bigrigfixer Article Contributor Founding Member Canadian Chapter

Looked at 3 2011 F150's today. I'm definitely impressed. Any known issues with the 5.0?

I'm looking at crew cab short bed 4x4 trucks with the integrated trailer brake. Supposedly those ones can pull up to 11500#?

Almost pulled the trigger on a great deal, but something made me double check the tow rating. The fact that it didn't have an integrated trailer brake had me suspicious. Found the original window sticker. On it listed the rear end ratio was 3.55:1. Cross reference that in the towing section of the owners manual leaves me with a max tow of 8000#. No wiggle room if we upgraded our trailer.

So that one's out.

The one I wanted, a silver one, the salesman and I were about 4000 apart. But that one was ready to go. Had air bags already, new tires, great power.

Gonna go out looking some more tomorrow.

Tags:
  2. BKW Founding Member

I had a 2011 F150 Lariat 5.0L 2WD Super Crew w/the 5 1/2' bed. It came with the optional Lariat Plus Package, trailer brake controller, 7,700 lbs. max payload package. MSRP: $39,990.00

The wheelbase of this elephantine behemoth (2WD/4WD same) is 145.0" .. overall length is 231.9."

I don't have a sales brochure for 2011, but I do have one for 2012 and 2013.

2012 brochure ~ 5.0L 4WD 145" wheelbase Super Crew:

Conventional Towing-Maximum Loaded Trailer Weight Ratings (lbs.):

3.55-1 .. GCWR 13,500 lbs. .. 7,700 lbs.

3.73-1 .. GCWR 15,100 lbs. .. 9,300 lbs.

6.2L .. 3.73-1 .. GCWR 17,100 lbs. .. 11,100 lbs.

Last edited: May 24, 2015
    FTZ HAIC likes this.
  3. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

In regards to issues, the 5.0L is a solid platform, without the big issues that have appeared with the Ecoboost. You definitely want 3.73. The Ecoboost has a better torque curve than the 5.0L, and wakes up more than the 5.0L with tuning, but again there are issues.

4. BKW Founding Member

But, if you want pull up to 11,000 lbs., you have to get the 6.2L with the max tow package, cuz it's not available with the 5.0L

See post #2.

5. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

I can read well enough, and did read #2, thanks. :)

That's why I answered his question about reliability, which isn't answered by the data in a brochure or on Ford's media site.

6. BKW Founding Member

I know that you can read, Ken...but some people skip some posts and then only read the last one.

btw: I'm no fan of the 3.5L Eco-Boost, because...how long will a 213 cid V6 last in a truck that can weigh over 3 tons?

My former F150 5.0L 2WD Stupor Crew had a curb weight of 5,875 lbs. Adding the driver, "She who must be obeyed" a coupla Basset Hounds, you're looking at an additional 500 lbs.

2009/2014's 2WD's came w/a 26 gallon fuel tank, 4WD's came w/a 36 gallon fuel tank.

Last edited: May 24, 2015
  7. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Bigrig,

The 5.4L in the 2004-2009 was rated to tow 11,000 depending on setup, and it has less power than the 5.0L, and even less than the 6.2L, With 4 the 4R75E, not the newer 6 speed. And that was before the fancy (and very capable) new electronic trailering control. I towed 10,000lb in a 2004-2008 gen 5.4L F150 on hilly terrain specifically selected by Ford to have the kinds of grades you might expect to encounter. It was "okay", can kept to the speed limit, but it did drop out of overdrive uphill. I wouldn't want a 200 mile trip through the mountains in any F150 towing that kind of weight, but for the occasional grade it's capable. Depends on the kind of terrain you anticipate towing in. The problem in my opinion isn't necessarily the power the 5.0L is going to offer you overall, but other factors Ford doesn't address. For example at the least swap in slotted brake rotors and upgrade the pads... because you will sooner or later warp OEM rotors with that kind of weight. At that kind of weight you're pushing into F250 territory. If you want to stick with an F150, the info presented here might help, but I'd consider a gas powered F250 if you're wanting to avoid the expense of a diesel.

The 5.4L does have a better low end grunt torque curve than the 5.0L, but the 5.0L behind the 6 speed has a gearing advantage - so it should perform similarly. Here are the power specs:

5.4L (2004-2008)
    300 hp@ 5,000 rpm
    365 lb.-ft. @ 3,750 rpm

5.0L
    360 hp @ 5,500 rpm
    380 lb-ft. @4,250 rpm

If it were me, I'd ask the dealer if you can test any potential truck with a load. Worst case, rent one for a day.

8. bigrigfixer Article Contributor Founding Member Canadian Chapter

Well thanks for all the input guys. We decided to go with a 2009 with the 5.4 and a 6 speed in front of 3.55's. The deal was to good to pass up so I'll try it out on a couple trips and if need be I'll swap the diffs at that point. Having the extra gear with tow/haul over my current one, we'll see.

I should be able to pick it up on Tuesday afternoon so I'll get pics for you after I get it.

Bonus: new brakes, 8 spark plugs, and a few other things. Rated for 9700# towing, so lots of room to upgrade a trailer in a few years.

9. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

The 5.4L with a 6 speed is a great combination. Change oil religiously, the cam phasers are the weak link and they depend on oil for their life.

10. bigrigfixer Article Contributor Founding Member Canadian Chapter

I saw the inspection report and service record for when they got it in, they showed an oil change was done. I'll be doing them myself after that, my shoulder is almost done it's rehab...

The thing I'm most stoked about is I don't have to worry about the glass jawed spark plugs.

11. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

BKW, where do you get your brochures, since you have a lot of them. Are you picking them up at the dealer, or are they sending them to you based on your long history with them?

12. BKW Founding Member

I get some from the LA Auto Show, others I get from dealers.

Stopped by Super Ford several days ago, got a 2015: F150, Edge and Mustang brochure.

I hardly ever throw anything away, have every issue of Hemmings Classic Car, several 100 issues of Special Interest Autos, the mag that preceded it.

I have every issue of Automobile Quarterly from 1/1963 thru 1989, but I bought all of them off ebay from a gal who lived in MD

At one time, I had every issue of Motor Trend from 1949 thru 2000. When I moved out here in 2001, gave them away to a library.

And, I have 100's of auto related history books, everything that has ever been printed on Packard, Pierce-Arrow and etc etc etc.

Many have come from Autobooks-Aerobooks, a Burbank bookstore devoted to car nuts. I've been a steady customer since 1966.

Last edited: May 26, 2015
    FTZ HAIC likes this.
< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
virtuoso