Looking for help in I hope the right places - 300 I6 power loss

Discussion in '1961 - 1966 Ford F100, F250 and F350 Truck Forum' started by NICK, Apr 11, 2016.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. NICK

Hi everyone I joined this forum in search of some badly needed hep on my Ford F-350. Its a 1962 Ford 262 I6 that has been sitting idle for over 10 years. The issue I am having is I can;t seem to go faster than 20-30 MPH, Runs good on 2nd gear but when I shift to 3rd or 4th it stumbles and hesitates, Specially up hill. I have changed the fuel filter and fuel pump thinking that may be the cause but I have the same issue. I also changes the distributer cap, plugs, wires and had the carburator rebuilt. Sooooo not sure what to try next.

Tags:
  2. OldjunkFords Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Welcome to the Zone!
    We have forum especially devoted to your vintage of truck, with plenty of "experts" ready to help you, it's just up the main page from here.
    Still sounds like a carburetor issue to me, possibly float level.

56panelford likes this.
  3. NICK

I'll check out the carburator I had someone else rebuilt it. Thanks

4. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

If it's complete dead on its ass I'd say fuel like the carb float, or fuel pressure (t-connect a gauge on the fuel line to check pressure). Double check for any vacuum leaks and make sure the distributor is advancing as it should.

Is the stumble/hesitation continuous or just for a second or two?

(Also, I'm moving this over to the 61-66 section. :)

5. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

Have you checked fuel flow from the tank?
    There may be rust stopping up the fitting where the line comes out of the tank, restricting fuel flow.

JWC 3 likes this.
  6. NICK

It becomes continuous after second gear, sometimes it stalls out. I'm draining the fuel tank next looking to ensure its not gunk plugging things up

7. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Also make sure the choke blade isn't sticking closed even a little after it warms up.

8. NICK

image.jpeg #ad
    Took the tank out and the picture shows how much rust was in it. Also the bobber rusted off. Now that I have the tank off. Do I need to take it to get refurbished, can I do it myself or do I need to buy a new one?

image.jpeg #ad

9. NICK

I'll check the fuel flow from the lines tomorrow. Had me fill of gas from hephening out the tank today

10. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

I would sorce a new tank. Look at replacing the hard and rubber lines
    while at it. Best of luck!

56panelford likes this.
  11. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

Is that tank in the cab?
    If so I REALLY would get a new tank, and put it under the truck
    Any way you look at it, you will end up with a new tank sooner or later.
    I tried the coating on the inside of the tank on my tractor, and it FAILED miserably
    Somehow, the coating melted and got all through the carburetor, rendering it useless.

12. NICK

Junk still commming out of the tank. Looking to replace it and only found one place in CALI that carries an in cab 1962 fuel tank for an F-250 the pictures looks like the same but not sure if it actually fits the F350. Does anyone know. Would also appreciate any other source to buy from, I heard there may be some closer to OKLAHOMA, but can;t seem to find them on the web yet.

13. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

Dennis carpenter may have something. Just a thought. ....

56panelford likes this.
  14. NICK

Dennis, Any ideas?

15. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

Dennis Carpenter is a supply house for old Ford parts. Google it.

56panelford likes this.
< Previous Thread | Next Thread >