Lsd front diff

Discussion in '1973 - 1979 Ford F100, F150, F250-F350 Truck Forum' started by dr chops, Sep 29, 2023.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. dr chops

Hi all

I’m looking at a auburn selecta loc diff set. My question is what’s the deal with running a lsd front diff? I’ve never heard anyone doing it but I don’t know if that’s because it’s a poop idea or just no one’s done it

cheers
    Lucas

Tags:
  2. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Its a bad idea because the right and left wheels must be able to spin at different speeds when turning.

captchas likes this.
  3. dr chops

Sweet thanks one of those off the wall ideas I have

cheers
    Lucas

4. iicap

Welcome Dr Chops.
    Without the purist's getting all over me for not using the correct description for each Truck Mfg's label's for what we in general called a, Posi-Traction Rear End. On 2 & 4 wheel drive trucks Posi-Traction differential's were an option offered by all, Ford, GM, Mopar (Chrysler). Many units offered, were made by Dana/Spicer.

Dana/Spicer's Common Posi unit has a clutch pack in the center of the differential that would release when the vehicle was making a turn, therefore allowing the drive wheels to turn at different speeds and no wheel skip across the pavement. The Posi-Traction differential WAS an Option For The front Differential on 4X4's and we would spec it on ordering a new truck. The Posi units could/can be added to a conventional differential. Best done by someone who has what is needed to service Dana/Spicer units.

I did commercial snow plowing for many years and we needed to NOT get stuck. Posi's front and rear helped. Cap

5. Oldiesask

I once had a '68 Bronco with L S front and rear, wish I still had it. You could feel it when turning, but not really that much unless under full throttle, which was just done in snow or mud. It did break some front U joints though.

6. Oldiesask

I should add, on icy roads it was a handfull, all four wheels would break free at the same time.

7. dr chops

holly sheet that would be a hand full. think ill chuck a regular locker in the front

cheers
    lucas

8. iicap

Oldiesask's comments are well taken. Consider the reason You would want a Posi in the front axle. Mine had a purpose and I did not do any clowning around. Whatever the configuration, 2X4, 4X4, no Posi, 1 Posi, 2 Posi's, they will all go flying in an Ice Situation, if you gonna be cracking the gas pedal. There are times we all need an Egg between our foot and the accelerator. These comments are from a Very Old Man. Cap

9. captchas

i know this is a old thread. adding a front LS for street driving is not a wise move. your going to be tearing up a lot of front axle parts, u joints' axle shafts, steering parts, leave the open axle up front,

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >