MAF Sensor

Discussion in '1997 - 2003 Ford F150 Truck Forum' started by chopper, Sep 24, 2018.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. chopper

Hi all, I just wanted to share a something with all you tenth-gen F-150 owners. I recently installed a cold air intake on my 2002 f-150 with the 5.4. I was looking for more throttle response and maybe a little more power. (The under the rumble is nice too). After it was installed I did notice some difference, but it wasn't quite what I expected in terms of throttle response. Yesterday while I was walking around in our farm/outdoor store, I seen some MAF (mass air flow sensor) cleaner on the shelf. I picked it up and thought I'd give it a try since I've never used it before. I sprated my MAF with it and than waited for it to evaporate, like the instructions said too. I put my intake back together and took it for a test drive, not expecting much. WOW was I wrong, I noticed a big difference in the throttle response and pickup. I think my truck is now taking full potential of the cold air intake.

Anyway, a lot of you guys probably know this already but I thought I'd post this for all the newbies like me. lol
    Buy some MAF cleaner!

Tags:
    JWC 3 likes this.
  2. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

Also ,if using an oil coated filter, don't over oil it. That can coat the maf and throw the readings off.

3. chopper

Yeah, mine's a non-oiled one, but that makes sense. Thanks!

4. NRA4ever Founding Member

Don't expect much gains with a cold air intake. Your truck came with a cold air intake. It flows plenty of air. I'd get tuning and a cat back exhaust to build power

5. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Make sure you data log fuel trims with a scanner. Some cold air intakes can throw off the MAF reading and result in a leaner fuel mixture. This can make more power, but isn't good especially at wide open throttle. And if it is running lean, the long term fuel trims will slowly make it run with the right air/fuel mixture. As it adjusts this power goes down to where it should be with the intake, not where it would be with the intake and a lean mixture. That's why people will sometimes see more power if they disconnect the battery for 15 minutes and they have a cold air intake... the fuel trims reset, its lean again until they relearn.

Not all CAI's run lean, good designs don't. If you have an SCT tuner, first update to the latest firmware on sctflash.com. Then see if it has a setting for your brand intake - this setting will make sure it has the correct MAF reading.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >