Mechanical fuel pump V Electric fuel pump

Discussion in '1973 - 1979 Ford F100, F150, F250-F350 Truck Forum' started by Bigkid1951, Jan 26, 2022.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. Bigkid1951

Hi Guys
    I purchase a 84 F-250 w/125 k mile on it, It has the 460 and from what I can tell it had a mechanical fuel pump when new. But over the years someone removed the side fuel tank and installed a aftermarket electric fuel pump on the rear fuel tank. They also installed a fuel filter before the fuel enters the pump then another filter at the carburetor. I recently replace the fuel tank and sending unit. I had a lot of trash in the old tank.
    Now my question is " would the engine be better fueled by a mechanical pump " ? I have notice there is always a air pocket in both filters. ? it currently acts like its not getting enough gas . I drove it home about 50 miles when I first got it with no problems.
    Also there are there wires coming out of the wiring harness. Which one would go to the float on the sending Unit ? Thanks for your time and suggestion,
    Bigkid1951

2. Muel Article Contributor Oregon Chapter

Effectively ,E Pump and M Pump if intended for the same application, and quality there would be no difference.

3. Bigkid1951

Thanks for your reply
    This electric fuel pump was added aftermarket pump.Which pumps all the time, Where the OEM mechanical pump would pump faster as the engine increased in RPM's
    thanks

4. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

What you mean by driving like it doesn't have enough gas means? Is it stumbling or stalling? What are the symptoms?

If the electric pump works, leave it unless you're wanting a completely stock truck. There's really no advantage to either on a stock engines, other than the mechanical pump is simpler. Air pocket means someone let the tank run low, it shouldn't hurt anything. The fuel flow is not regulated by the speed of the pump or whether it's contant. Its regulated by the carb float.

5. Bigkid1951

That make sense
    Thanks

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >