Mileage on 7.3's...

Discussion in 'General Truck Discussion' started by flylooper, Oct 6, 2017.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. flylooper Oregon Chapter

So I recently picked up an '03 F-250 4WD/SD Lariat/AT from a dealer. The truck was pretty good shape (3.5 out of 4 stars, maybe?) with moderate mileage on it (150K). I've alwasy loved that motor and this one is no exception. But I'm curious about what other owners of 7.3's are getting. My rig is making arount 15 mpg in the country with little stop an go driving.

I recently hauled my little 20' camping trailer up to eastern Oregon from Eugene and the truck made 10-11 mpg. Frankly, I'm a bit surprised. I expected around 18+ without pulling anything, and maybe a 3-4 mpg drop with a relatively light trailer behind it. A friend who has the same truck and pulls a 30-foot 5th wheeler claims he gets 10 mpg on his truck.

I don't know the effect dirty filters have but I do need to do that.

Two considerations:
    1. I am a very gentle driver. I do not stand on acclerator pedals in any way.
    2. I have yet to change out the fuel and air filters. An inspection of the K & N air filter on board showed it to be pretty dirty and my plan is to change it out for an off-the-shelf non K & N air filter ASAP.

So, that said. How does your 7.3 diesel do in the mileage department?

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
    Tags:
  2. helifixer TOTM Winner Southwest Chapter

'95 175,000
    '97 175,000
    '97 260,000
    '99 330,000
    2000 200,000

3. helifixer TOTM Winner Southwest Chapter

ok re read you are asking mpg?
    '95 15
    '97 16
    '97 18.6
    '99 20.0
    2000 17.5

4. F350-6 Vet Zone Texas Chapter Founding Member

With ULSD, 18+ MPG's seems to be reserved for 2wd vehicles on flat ground, or trucks that do a whole lot of highway mileage on flat ground on cruise control (empty of course).

I've done plenty of easy driving on country roads too. I get better mileage with the cruise control set on the highway than I do taking it easy in the country.

5. Campspringsjohn Founding Member

I get about 15 in my 02. A little better on trips where I'm not towing.

A word of advice, if your truck still have the factory intake, and especially if it had a K&N washable filter in it, I would examine it thoroughly for leaks. Air leaking around the filter intake cover has been known for ruining turbos and shortening the life of the motor.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >