Veterans Zone Military Trader?

Discussion in 'Veterans Zone' started by F350-6, Jan 21, 2016.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. F350-6 Vet Zone Texas Chapter Founding Member

Anyone ever heard of it? Or know what it is?

I got a subscription offer in the mail without much info. I guess I'm on some mailing list that says I actually read things printed on paper. I'm not opposed to getting another magazine, but this "exclusive offer not available to the public" sounds like some sort of printed flea market advertising from the title.

2016-01-21 17.56.29.jpg #ad
    2016-01-21 17.56.02.jpg #ad
    2016-01-21 17.55.57.jpg #ad
    2016-01-21 17.55.46.jpg #ad
    2016-01-21 17.55.52.jpg #ad

Tags:
  2. Diesel Dave Vet Zone Texas Chapter Founding Member

Sorta/kinda..... They're a sister organization to Military Vehicles, which is a monthly (?) publication for folks interested in military vehicle preservation. Years ago, I was a member of the Military Vehicle Preservation Association (MVPA) and this is one of the magazines we subscribed to. Good articles, great ads, well worth reading. Supposedly, Military Trader is all about military artifacts - militarytrader.com describes it better. Can't vouch for the 'Trader', but the MV mag was a great deal.

3. Greywolf Vet Zone Staff Alumni Founding Member

My only question would be this:
    NEXT year, when the discount falls off, is it worth $77.35 to you to have it?

*And BEWARE of subscriptions that autorenew without you realizing it - THAT can put a hole in your budget at the very worst of times.

I don't think I would do that. I think it's a setup.
    Unless I had more cash than I knew what to do with and military vehicles and such were my personal hobby, it isn't a good deal. Frankly it's an extra expense.

THERE ARE DEDICATED FORUMS FOR THAT which cost you nothing
    ~ and obviously you have a computer and internet connection.

I HAVE joined the Military Book Club a few times, and while I was active or just plain curious about WHAT happened, and WHY it happened, it was great. But even that you can do better on if you search for related titles on Amazon.

As an example: I loved the aircraft books because I still just love airplanes, I dunno why.
    NAVAL Battles in Closeup was a series of books that gave me a lot of insights.
    A personal copy of Carl Von Clauswitz, I found interesting as well as Sun Tzu's Art of War

But Frederick the Great on the Art of War?
    Some principles made sense, the rest were far outdated.
    Von Clauswitz had already covered it.

~ and many may disagree with me on that. One of the things I read early in it though regarding recruits was that they needed to be separated from their families AT ONCE so that they would have few second thoughts...

In the end it seemed I did not need a "CLUB" to guide my researches, just a good source of books and materials.

Since any military collector or vehicle restorer can find a wealth of resources online or by going to swapmeets it makes no sense to me to pay for some one else to decide what I need to know and set a price on it. The information is also repetitive - once you have a list of suppliers, that is all you need. The "NET" can provide the rest.

"ONE copy please, THANK YOU - now go (F) yourself!"
    That's how I really see it.

And if the list of advertisers are crap, even one copy is a waste of money. People who charge way too much because they are military OUTSIDERS seeking to rake up coin...

They will be high dollar compared to what you might find by networking on your own, isn't that true?

FAKES!
    POSERS!

When you look at their ads - ask yourself if you can tell that they ever served or not

Like CREDIT CARDS - where you are paying someone else for the privilege of spending your own money, or for the exclusive privilege of running yourself into debt beyond all recovery - to pay someone to do my thinking for me seems to me as if I have given away something fundamental that I will be charged for every year.

With the INTERNET, we can find links to whatever we need.
    We do not need magazine subscriptions.

I have checked what I just wrote three times, and can find no flaw in there. I think you don't need it.

Regards:
    ~Dutch

Last edited: Feb 24, 2016
  4. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

I used to get it for my dad when he was alive.
    He liked it, but once he was gone, other than being "interesting" to me, I didn't need it, so I let the subscription end

5. F350-6 Vet Zone Texas Chapter Founding Member

Valid point, but for that situation, I have a computer program from my credit card company that generates a new credit card number that is valid only at the merchant I first use it at. That number also comes with it's own expiration date that varies between 1 and 12 months based on my preference. At a 1 month expiration, that makes auto-renewal impossible since the number is no longer valid. I can also set whatever credit limit I choose for that number so in this case I could choose a credit limit of $21.00 on a card that expired next month.

Credit cards, like everything else in life are what you make of them. I use mine almost daily. I pay off the balance in full each month, and I get 2% cash back on what I spend. Now if I could get 2% or more by leaving my cash in the bank that might be a different story, but as it stands now, I actually make more money by using the credit card that I do by sticking cash in the back or a CD.

I have several magazine subscriptions. I enjoy shutting off the TV and computer and turning the pages, and even looking at the ads. I'm also not the digital type when nature calls, so I like having reading material around for that as well.

Maybe not, but it's been over a month since I posted this. Luckily I had some magazines to read between now and then to keep me occupied while I awaited your response.:)

For the record I chose not to subscribe to this particular publication.

6. Greywolf Vet Zone Staff Alumni Founding Member

Ahh, ahh - lack of attention on my part!

"BAD Wolfie, no rabbit carcass..."

My own aversion to Credit Cards stems from the aftermath of what I found when I came home, and all the stories I have heard over the years. But that is abuse, not intelligent management

For nature calls I have "MINI LIBRARIES" of various sorts in each bathroom, including parts and garden catalogs. In fact - last year I brought in a bucket of nuts and bolts from the garage and sorted them all out according to size into ziplocks and small containers.

~It fit well under the bookshelves... :rolleyes:

How many people do you know that have a thread gauge next to their potty?

~It just seemed to me I should be using that time for a constructive purpose!!! My old Chiefs would be proud of me

"I've got a PRE-EX in my head, now THAT'S a space saver..."

Good a place as any to look at your nuts

Last edited: Feb 27, 2016
< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
virtuoso