Mini "reversed" steering wheel coming available in the 2016 F-150

Discussion in 'General Truck Discussion' started by BigdaddyII, May 23, 2015.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. BigdaddyII Founding Member

Tags:
  2. pirahnah3 Founding Member

Interesting.....not quite sure how I feel after reading that and watching the little snippet about it.

3. BigdaddyII Founding Member

I've mulled it over for a couple days now. I saw that no one posted it here yet so I did.

Aside from the "cool for 5 minutes" factor, I feel that it adds to the wussifacation of America. If you can't think in depth enough to back a trailer the traditional way, you shouldn't be towing a trailer. I arrived at this conclusion after re reading that it's meant to be used with the camera. Surely the camera can't see "through" the load on the trailer.

4. BKW Founding Member

If Navigation isn't present, the back up camera image appears in the rear view mirror.

bigrigfixer likes this.
  5. bigrigfixer Article Contributor Founding Member Canadian Chapter

I'm with you. I've practiced and practiced, and while I'm not the best at it, I'm good enough that I won't embarrass myself.

Want to back a trailer? Earn it!

Upland Bird Hunter likes this.
  6. KW5413 Vet Zone Texas Chapter Founding Member

Technology always has a first step. It won't be long until this option will be live satellite driven. Naturally, with a slight , nominal, monthly subscription.

Build a fee and they will pay.

:)

7. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

I heard many similar arguments about trailer alignment backup camera systems on the F150 when it first came out.

I can hitch, backup and tow a trailer without a backup camera and learned that stuff long before they were available. But anyone who has used one of those cameras will tell you it's darned nice. Even if you can backup and align a hitch fine, it's still a major bitch to hook up a car trailer trying to maneuver in snow covered grass at 10 pm on a moonless night by yourself while your wife is waiting for you 10 miles away with 2 flat tires and you're in a hurry because it's getting colder. Plus you have to roll down all your windows and freeze your butt off because you can't see well enough through the tinted windows. I wish I had a backup/trailer camera that night.

In 10 years this will be the norm, just as backup camera systems are becoming the norm now.

8. FordxFour Founding Member

I personally have no need nor desire for such a device. With that being said, most problems I've observed that folks have with backing is improper placement of the unit before backing.

9. KW5413 Vet Zone Texas Chapter Founding Member

I don't start having any trailer backing problems until I put the truck in reverse.

:arghh:

bigrigfixer and FordxFour like this.
  10. BKW Founding Member

US Gov't has mandated that all vehicles sold new in the US have to have a backup camera as standard equipment by 2017.

11. BigdaddyII Founding Member

My previous statement is not about the camera itself. I have a camera on my truck and it is nice, especially for aligning a trailer. My comments referred to the steering wheel on the dash that spins the trucks steering wheel the opposite way for you when you use it to control the trailer. It takes the thinking out of towing a trailer, I may just be a pessimist, but to me taking the thinking out of anything is dangerous. The article stated that the mini steering wheel is supposed to be used in combination with the camera, yet the camera shown in the video only shows the same thing my camera does......the ball and ground immediately BEHIND THE TRUCK. That does nothing to show the driver what he is about to back the trailer into.

12. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

From what I saw the images show the entire trailer, and the area behind it and not just the hitch area immediately behind the truck. Yellow line below outlines the back of the trailer and the area behind it.

trailer.jpg #ad

trailer2.jpg #ad

The way I look at it, it's simply another tool. Idiots are going to use trailers whether or not these tools exist. They are going to be on the boat ramp while you wait whether or not they have something like this. They are going to block the way out of an RV park with or with out it. They will be in the way at a storage unit with or without it. I'd rather the fool gets hitched up and out of the way faster, then sit there all day while he tries to do an Austin Powers back and forth trying to figure it out.

Its the same with electronic trailer stability control. Idiots are going to tow with or without them... if they must tow, I like the assurance that something is going to help keep their trailer under better control rather than them slamming into some innocent driver in a car passing them.

So I not disagreeing about people who don't learn to tow properly, I believe there are essential skills to learn. Just that I'd rather these tools be out there than not since some people will never learn, lol.

Last edited: May 27, 2015
  13. BadLar Founding Member Canadian Chapter

My dad taught me many many years ago, put your hand on the bottom of the steering wheel instead of the top, no thinking required. I still do this to this day, and I pull and back trailers several times a week. Give it a try!

FTZ HAIC likes this.
  14. Paul Masley Founding Member

I taught myself using the bottom. It has never failed me.

15. Theo Vet Zone

I have driven for about 50 years, can drive backwards all day, with or without a trailer - I guarantee I would hit something using that system.

BigdaddyII likes this.
< Previous Thread | Next Thread >