Missing oil pump shaft

Discussion in '1953 - 1956 Ford F100, F250 and F350 Truck Forum' started by tvpitts, Jun 3, 2022.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. tvpitts

Well the oil pump shaft is missing. Not a problem right, I went out & bought a new shaft. But explain this to me. The oil pump will not receive the shaft. When I look into the oil pump I can a hex shape shaft in the oil pump. I have a shaft for priming the engine with oil. The primer has a female end on it, so it mates with the hex shaft in the oil pump & I can prime the engine with it. The new shaft does not mate with the oil pump because the new shaft has a male end on both ends of the shaft & the oil pump has a male shaft in it. I have large hole on the top of the oil pump, when I look at pictures of new oil pumps I see a sleeve sticking out of the top of the oil pump. I am thinking this a coupling of some kind to connect the shaft to the oil pump. Is my thinking right or is there a different type of shaft out there? The engine is a Ford 302 , block was made in 1976.

Tags:
  2. cwrandolph

The shaft should be male on both ends and the primer shaft should not have a female end. Is it possible that the primer shaft has inserts so it can change from 1/4" to 5/16" for different engines? if so, maybe the insert from the primer shaft came out and stuck in the oil pump? Or - did the original shaft break off and the rest of it is in the oil pan? Might be time to drop the pan to see what's going on.

captchas and iicap like this.
< Previous Thread | Next Thread >