Mobil One Annual Protection

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by dstegjas, Apr 1, 2017.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. dstegjas

Has anyone seen the advertisement for Mobil One Annual Protection. The claim it's good for 1 year or 20,000 miles. Now I do use the Mobil One for high mileage vehicles in my truck. However I still change it out every 5,000 miles. The same mileage for normal oil changes. I know, I have had other people ask me why I don't extend the mileage between changes. It just makes me feel better to do it that way. I think I would be a little nervous about running 20,000 miles between oil changes though.

Jim

Tags:
  2. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

In a daily commuter I'd use it, and plan to use it in one of our Explorer. What I will do is use the filter they recommend and check the oil level every 5,000 miles. I've had used oil analysis done on oil samples on my F150 using regular Mobil 1 synthetic and Pennzoil Ultra Platinum synthetic, and at 5000 miles there was hardly any indication of viscosity wear, metal wear levels were very low and the additive package was still in good shape. And that's on a supercharged truck. So I have no problem using an oil for 20K ---- if it is designed for it. First time around I'd probably get it sampled at 10K though, just to be certain.

They have an engine warranty if you use both the oil and the filter, against any damage due to the oil.

Oil has come a long way, many manufacturers have recommended 7500 mile oil change intervals these days.

3. Campspringsjohn Founding Member

It may depend on the vehicle too. I know on diesels that have the DPF and EGR systems that companies that normally recommend extended oil change intervals do not recommend them for those motors. Reason being that fuel contamination may be an issue. Now if they've been deleted and tuned, that's different.

4. helifixer TOTM Winner Southwest Chapter

I change the oil and filter once a year in my diesels, I don't even track mileage anymore after 5 years of oil analysis. I run rotella t 6 in everything

5. KW5413 Vet Zone Texas Chapter Founding Member

I don't know about the annual protection aspects of Mobil 1 but, I started using it as soon as I purchased my '04 F250 new, back in the day. I have been a bible thumper for it ever since. When I bought my company truck at 116,000 miles it was pretty loaded up with sludge. A couple of Mobil 1 changes at 1,500 mile intervals and it was gone.

Both my muscle cars sit for long periods of time between start-ups but, I don't worry about them much because they sit with Mobil 1 in them, as well.

I am sure many of us remember the early 2,000 era of the ''Oil Wars''. A big part of that discussion was sheer cost vs reward. Now days I think the value has been realized. Then there are people like me and the OP that overkill it (and I always have :think:anim) that still change these syn oils way to often.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
virtuoso