Modifying Seats in my '86

Discussion in '1980 - 1986 Ford F150, F250 and F350 Truck Forum' started by RustyTruckGal86, Dec 7, 2016.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. RustyTruckGal86

So I'm 5'0 and my fiance is 5'8...ol' Rusty only has a bench seat (single cab) and in order for me to reach the pedals, I need to slide the seat all the way up. :facepalm: Which, obviously, makes things a little tight for my fiance so what can I do to fix that?

I've looked at replacing it with a 40-20-40 but to do that is close to or over $1k...so I was wondering if I could go to the scrap yard and take a 60-40 seat out of another vehicle and adapt it to fit Rusty? Can anyone give me an idea of what I'd need to do that? And where I'd need to get the right parts to do the modification?

Any and all help is very welcome. Thanks y'all!

Tags:
  2. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

All F-series truck and full size Bronco seats from 1980 - 1996 will swap, so that's a good option.

Older Explorer seats fit as well, you need to swap the brackets off them and put on the brackets from your seats.

1994 - 2004 Mustang seats fit, you have to drill a hole on the back of their brackets to fit.

3. RustyTruckGal86

Is there any place that sells adapters for the brackets or can my mechanic figure it out? LOL Though I think if my truck goes back to Ted after I finally get it out this week, he'll be not too crazy to see it again.

4. helifixer TOTM Winner Southwest Chapter

I found a set of 40 20 40 seats out of a '95 f150 that was built on a tubing frame that used the same mount holes as the bench seat. I had it in my '89 f250 when I used it as my service truck. it is the only 40 20 40 seat I have ever seen mounted like that.

5. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Most mechanics I've met would rather not get into fabricating. Not that they can't but that its not their focus. Its usually something a specialty shop like a hotrod shop will handle.

6. RustyTruckGal86

I've got another shop that does both repairs and fabricating/custom stuff. They straight-piped my '05 Subaru Baja turbo back when I had it and both guys there (retired Marines) do their own mods on their trucks. The one actually has an '86 Bronco that he's modded himself--and he hates Fords so why he has one, I don't know. :rolleyes: LOL. So I think they could put the seats in if any modding needs to be done (and give me a ton a crap for buying a Ford like my soon-to-be father-in-law does). With my luck, one of the former owners screwed up the seats on Rusty too. They fried the original radio somehow so I had to buy a new one and screwed up the interior and dash lighting...trust me, the list of Rusty's issues is not a short one. But he's worth it. :p

I really hope to get to the scrapyard next week so I can do some hunting around for a donor vehicle. If the local yard doesn't have something I'll end up at TransWest and I don't think they're as reasonably priced...:yuck:

7. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >