My 56 Drives Better Than Ever

Discussion in '1953 - 1956 Ford F100, F250 and F350 Truck Forum' started by tom, Oct 22, 2015.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. tom Founding Member

When I put my daily-driver 56 F100 together about 9 years ago , I used a Volare type ifs. I modified and used the factory Chrysler u-joint that fit the steering box. This past weekend I decided it was time to change to a "store bought" joint so I ordered one from Speedway. I installed it this evening and the truck steers great! I never realized that the old set-up had some resistance . Lesson learned - no more "factory" joints on my builds.

Tags:
  2. 56panelford TOTM Winner Founding Member Canadian Chapter

Good to hear, have you any pics of your 56?

JWC 3 likes this.
  3. tom Founding Member

0406141432.jpg #ad

JWC 3, 56panelford and Yamagrant like this.
  4. 56panelford TOTM Winner Founding Member Canadian Chapter

Pretty nice driver, what are you running for a drive train?

JWC 3 likes this.
  5. tom Founding Member

Actually the truck has had a fresh, flat red, rattle can repaint after this photo. It has a 500 Cadillac , 400TH transmission, volare ifs, and a 8 3/4 Chrysler rear with 2.76 gears. It had been in a barn for 16 years when I bought it in 2006. It was completely disassembled when I got it. I gave the original front axle , springs , steering , and rear axle to a buddy.

6. 56panelford TOTM Winner Founding Member Canadian Chapter

It must scoot real along with that 500 Caddy in it.

JWC 3 likes this.
  7. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

No doubt, up to 550 lb-ft torque in some stock configuratons, it'll git up and go in that truck!

8. 56panelford TOTM Winner Founding Member Canadian Chapter

And here I'm just stuck with this little stock 351.

9. Paul Masley Founding Member

Tom, I love your truck, especially the magnesium wheels. Just do not see them anymore. You said Volarie IFS. Is this from a car?

10. 56panelford TOTM Winner Founding Member Canadian Chapter

I like those wheels too Paul. The Volarie front clip was quite popular at one time , yes a car.

JWC 3 likes this.
  11. Paul Masley Founding Member

I am guessing, but did you use the torsion bars?

12. 56panelford TOTM Winner Founding Member Canadian Chapter

I would imagine so Paul but Tom could say for sure.:)

JWC 3 likes this.
  13. Paul Masley Founding Member

I always hated working on those when I was working for a Chrysler-Plymouth dealer. You learn a lot of new words when that bar shatters inside of the adjuster. I just loved the idiots that would crank them up to the limit so they could put wider tires on the Volarie's/Aspen's instead of doing it the right way. Crank them up, hit a pothole, break the bar, make the fender look like a dirt tracker and then blame Chrysler for their f-up. Then the idiots with the Chargers/Road Runners, dropping them down and busting their oil pans. Quite a bit of Warranty claims DENIED!

14. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

Yes, his has torsion bars, they go across the front, not like old days, front to back.

I used the front suspension from a Chrysler Cordoba under my 56 pickup. worked well, for me, I liked the torsion bars.
    I used the u-joint from the Mopar box to the column from speedway too
    I also ended up using a lower pressure spring for the relief valve on the pump.
    Chrysler steering IMHO is touchy, and the lower pressure gave it a "stiffer" feel

15. Paul Masley Founding Member

I loved watching fools with the front cross bars when I worked for Chrysler. They will "Hurt your Ass" in a bad way. I watched a guy flip a Cordoba off of a rack by removing the bolts in the wrong one thinking he had let the tension off, but wrong side. I kept the pressure springs in my box for owner's complaint of no feel in the steering wheel. They are a snap to change. The only problem I could never solve while working for Chrysler was that damn imaginary sponge they put on the brake pedal. I would drive those damn Mopars all day, jump in my LTD and pull my eyes off of the windshield at the first light. LOL

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >