My 56 F-100 panel

Discussion in 'Ford Truck Builds' started by 56panelford, May 2, 2015.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. 56panelford TOTM Winner Founding Member Canadian Chapter

Panel coming together 006 Quick e-mail view.jpg #ad

Thought I'd do a build thread on my panel even though it is finished. Hopefully I'll get things in order.

Tags:
    67nukeford likes this.
  2. 67nukeford Founding Member

Anxiously awaiting more......

3. 56panelford TOTM Winner Founding Member Canadian Chapter

Well I'll start with a little bit of history in why I wanted to restore a panel in he first place. There is a short story behind it that dates back to when I was 13 years old but didn't involve a panel truck. There was a man who lived down the street from me who had a 36 Ford Tudor and it was offered to me for $50 because he always seen me looking over the fence dreaming about it and he was moving and had no place to keep it any longer. If I didn't take it, it would be sold to anyone else for $500. I run home and asked my dad if I could buy it and park it behind our garage but the answer was a flat out NO. So I watched the car being hoisted onto a trailer and carried away. I then got interested in motorcycles which worried the parents and when a 56 F100 panel truck came into the picture the parents said yes, if only I had known that was all it would have taken I could have had my 36:(. Then when I was about to turn 16 and apply for a driver license my dad made me get rid of the panel even though I had it in running condition.
    Fast forward to Sept. 1999 , I found another 56 panel truck and a pickup, bought them both and basically started my plans for my first build.

4. 56panelford TOTM Winner Founding Member Canadian Chapter

This is what I brought home but it remained parked for about 5 years before I actually started any work on it
    Project1 Quick e-mail view.jpg #ad

In this picture it is already sitting on the 72 Chev C10 frame

5. 56panelford TOTM Winner Founding Member Canadian Chapter

The frame swap came about simply because I didn't know any better, this was my first build after all, a friend I work with offered me his old truck for a $100 and it had a good running motor, something of which I didn't have. When pricing out suspension upgrades it was much cheaper lowering this Chev frame than what it would cost doing the Ford, so I thought at the time. It's too bad hind sight doesn't kick in earlier in a build, I was still learning:) I shortened the frame and rolled it under the body.

6. 56panelford TOTM Winner Founding Member Canadian Chapter

Project2 Quick e-mail view.jpg #ad

Project4 Quick e-mail view.jpg #ad

Couple more pics of my beauty:)

7. Ford Trucker Founding Member Canadian Chapter

I'll follow the story/build

8. 56panelford TOTM Winner Founding Member Canadian Chapter

It might take awhile to get all the pictures in order as well as my memory Gerry so hang tight,lol

9. Upland Bird Hunter Founding Member

Watching this

10. pirahnah3 Founding Member

anxiously watching, wishing i had time for mine.

11. 56panelford TOTM Winner Founding Member Canadian Chapter

I had to wait about 6 years before I started work to mine Jim, you have to get your ducks in a row,lol

12. 56panelford TOTM Winner Founding Member Canadian Chapter

Originally my thoughts were to raise the front cab mounts higher because of the rear kick up of the Chev frame but once I seen how badly rusted all the main sections in floor support was I decided to raise the rear floor of the panel instead by 3 " . There are a few pictures I'm missing or forgot to take but will post a picture with it braced up and sitting on the frame.
    Aug 2005 #11 Quick e-mail view.jpg #ad

13. 56panelford TOTM Winner Founding Member Canadian Chapter

Aug 2005 #2 Quick e-mail view.jpg #ad

I put a lot of bracing in it to keep it square and pretty much gutted the whole bottom end, I was glad it all hold together and will say it was a pain to work in there.

14. FordxFour Founding Member

Subscribed...

15. 56panelford TOTM Winner Founding Member Canadian Chapter

floor frame Quick e-mail view.jpg #ad

The rear door post from the bottom hinges were also rusted out as well as the roll pan and structure underneath . So I had to make my own door post patches and a C channel from 16 gauge to support the 2"x2" square tube sub structure and tie everything together. I eliminated the hinges all together because of the hatch door I was planning to do.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
virtuoso