My Dad And I Built A Trailer

Discussion in 'The Fabricators Corner' started by Campspringsjohn, May 12, 2016.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. Campspringsjohn Founding Member

I know I should have taken pictures from the beginning, sorry in advance! The frame was made about 20 years ago by my cousin, and it has old house trailer axles under it. Finding that the brakes were shot, and tires hard to come by, and expensive, we opted for a couple of Dexter 5200lb axles with 225/85R-16 wheel and tire combinations. The cross rails are 2"x2" box tubing with 3/16" wall thickness. The floor is 2"x8" pressure treated lumber. The bed is 8'x16'. The Channel under the bed is 5", and the rail around the side is 1/4"x4" flat bar welded to the box tubing. All of this was easy. Now comes the hard part!
    [​IMG]#ad

Dad wanted a Dove Tail, so we made one! Expecting the bed to be at the height it already is, we made it accordingly, with 5 foot ramps attached to it.
    [​IMG]#ad

No pictures of the original ramps! Here's the tractor on the trailer.
    [​IMG]#ad

Sorry for not being able to rotate it around! Loading this tractor was a rude awakening! It was quite steep pulling it up those ramps! Backing it off was even worse. The height was 32" at the rear. That had to change. Nothing like reverse engineering!

We re-mounted the axles on the top side of the springs, lowering it to 25" in the rear. We also shortened the ramps. The legs under the ramps were a little challenge. When we first loaded the tractor, the legs were too far from the pivot point of the ramps causing them to kick up. We later moved them up to the pivot/hinges solving that issue.
    [​IMG]#ad

Notice the wheels now stick through the floor. Wheel wells are now a necessity. Making them 3.5" high would give them enough room, yet no be too tall. Originally, we were thinking of loading the tractor on backwards since the rear tires would be sitting on the wheel wells. But I had a better idea.

Putting a dip in the wheel wells gave the tires a nice place to ride. We used 2.5"x3.5" angle iron, 3/16" wall thickness. 3/16" plate is what we used to make the cover, with little spots of weld on it for traction.
    [​IMG]#ad

Here's the finished product.
    [​IMG]#ad

Here's a picture of it with its intended load.
    [​IMG]#ad

And the wheel wells being used for what they were made for. We did move the tires out another 2 inches on both sides to better accomodate the fit in the wheel wells. Besides, they were in too close anyway!
    [​IMG]#ad

Tags:
    56panelford and dustybumpers like this.
  2. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

Nice job.
    I like that you got away from the band type wheels on the trailer.
    I also like the radial tires.

The old tractor isn't too shabby either.......

Campspringsjohn likes this.
  3. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Good looking setup. Reminds me how desperately mine needs to be cleaned up and repainted!

4. Seabiscuit Volunteer Moderator Vet Zone Vet Zone Leader Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Here you go John, fixed it for you. Very nice International Harvester Farmall! Trailer looks great too.
    0424161551.jpg #ad

56panelford and Campspringsjohn like this.
  5. Campspringsjohn Founding Member

[bcolor=#fcfcfc]Thanks for the comments! Jim, that picture is is before the modifications to the ramps and the re-positioning of the axles. It does give a better understanding of how steep those ramps were![/bcolor]

56panelford likes this.
  6. Campspringsjohn Founding Member

And yesterday, we went and looked at a 1939 John Deere B. Hand start, and was recently restored for 2500.00. Dad bought it. Will go pick it up Sunday! Will have to borrow a trailer to get it unfortunately. The rear wheels on it are so far in that they barely catch the ramps we made. And moving those tires out will likely be a major job. So, we'll get it home and deal with that issue in our garage!

56panelford likes this.
  7. Campspringsjohn Founding Member

You can see the obvious difference in height between thise 2 pictures. The original was way too high!

[bcolor=#fcfcfc]I figured out how to rotate the pictures in my gallery, so they are fixed. If you click on the immages above, they will now show up like they're suppose to.[/bcolor]

Last edited: May 13, 2016
    56panelford likes this.
  8. Campspringsjohn Founding Member

I should also give credit where credit is due. My brother-in-law Steve got the steel for us at a very good price from his work place. It was half the price of the steel from a local steel supplier. The only thing we had to get from them was the expanded metal used on the Dovetail and ramps.

BTW, I should point out, the reason for using the expanded metal was for traction. Many accidents come from loading and unloading vehicles on ramps where traction is an issue. The expanded metal takes care of that issue!

56panelford likes this.
  9. Seabiscuit Volunteer Moderator Vet Zone Vet Zone Leader Oregon Chapter Founding Member

We have a trailer very similar in appearance out on the farm. The covers over the wheels are a little different design so you can set a bale of hay on them. We used a heavy steel tube in metal sleeves in the back for the ramps. This allows us to "slide" the ramps to adjust them to the wheel width of the piece of equipment, or actually take them completely off for hauling hay or other "non rolling" items. The sliders allow us to load a big tractor or a riding lawn mower.

56panelford and Campspringsjohn like this.
  10. 56panelford TOTM Winner Founding Member Canadian Chapter

Nice job on the trailer and pretty cool looking tractor..^-#

11. Campspringsjohn Founding Member

We used heavy tubing along with a heavy rod too. It's just that I welded the ends of the tube to the trailer, and the center piece of tubing to the ramp holding them from sliding. And the rod could be removed to take the ramps off too if we want to. Adjusting them honestly never crossed my mind. And finding a tractor with the wheels at 5'11" was not wat I would expect around here. They would fit on the ramps, but barely.

12. Campspringsjohn Founding Member

13. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

Good looking tractors!

56panelford likes this.
  14. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

Good looking tractors!

56panelford likes this.
  15. Campspringsjohn Founding Member

The 230 Farmall has been in the family for at least 20 years. I had a guy paint it a couple years ago, as well as fix up a lot of things on it. Cost more than I thought it would, but it turned out better than I expected. Dad's really proud of that B though!

56panelford likes this.
< Previous Thread | Next Thread >