My Mounty Left Wife stranded

Discussion in 'Ranger, Explorer, Bronco II and Sport Trac Forum' started by JWC 3, Apr 21, 2015.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

I have an 04 mounty , Mostly an explorer , a few tweeks make them different .
    Battery layed down ,alt smoked itself trying to keep up .This left my Wife and grandson stranded at a store .
    Problem fixed . Easy Alt. to swap out .

Tags:
    56panelford and FTZ Peggy like this.
  2. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

That stinks. How old was the battery?

3. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

A bit over 5 years.

56panelford likes this.
  4. Greywolf Vet Zone Staff Alumni Founding Member

The last battery I tore up was from sloppiness on my part. A power lead off the positive was unsecured and got under a corner of the battery in its metal tray. Vibration cut through the insulation and when I checked on the burning smell it had melted a line through the bottom of the battery case.

Lesson learned: ZIPTIE, ZIPTIE, and ZIPTIE everything!

JWC 3 likes this.
  5. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

5 years is pretty good for a driven car. I got 7 so far out of the one in my F150, but that's only because I can keep it on a Battery Tender since I don't drive it much - the Tender has a maintain mode which keeps buildup off the plates.

6. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

The battery in my 78 , I put in in 09 . Less demand on the system allows for longer battery life . My truck is almost bone stock .

56panelford likes this.
  7. tiny1 Founding Member

I replaced a few months ago the original battery in my wife's Edge, it was a PITA to get the negative terminal off mainly because it is located under the cowl.

8. Greywolf Vet Zone Staff Alumni Founding Member

I can think of a couple of bad situations that might lead to, since removing the negative lead is the only way to ensure that it's safe to work on.

It sounds like a battery disconnect switch would be a great modification.
    Add it to the negative lead(s) and you can render it safe to work on with a turn of a switch, unless the negative post got bumped against the frame.

~Might be worth further study....

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >