my project for the next few months

Discussion in '1953 - 1956 Ford F100, F250 and F350 Truck Forum' started by tom, May 1, 2018.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. tom Founding Member

2017071995173602.jpg #ad
    0314171350a (1).jpg #ad

The plan is to salvage the 500 Caddy, 400 TH transmission, and Chrysler 8 3/4 rearend out of my totaled '56 truck and put it all into this '56 panel. I will get a "booster shot" at the upcoming event in Pigeon Forge TN and get busy when I get home.

Tags:
    JWC 3 and dustybumpers like this.
  2. Seabiscuit Volunteer Moderator Vet Zone Vet Zone Leader Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Keep us updated, looks like an interesting and ambitious project.

3. masakimm Vet Zone

Ma thats a sad site with that 56. But nothing wrong with sa nice panel truck.

4. tom Founding Member

My goal is to get the panel on the road and drive it to the F100 event in Pigeon Forge in October, I think.

5. masakimm Vet Zone

Well u better get to work then.

6. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

He was driving that truck when it got squashed like that.

Going to be a project of remorse/love at the same time

Glad you're still here to build the panel

7. tom Founding Member

I have changed my mind about how to do the panel. I just got my '55 Studebaker truck on the road and it drives great. It is on an '87 Dodge Dakota chassis. I believe I will put the panel on a Dakota chassis too. 20180705_193340 (4).jpg #ad

jniolon and JWC 3 like this.
  8. tom Founding Member

Nope. Staying with the original frame and using the Volare IFS and Dodge 8 3/4 rearend under the Panel.

9. tom Founding Member

Still no progress to speak of on the Panel, but boy when I get started, look out!
    I just bought a new welder and I'm ready to start making stuff happen. Now I just need a sponsor.
    I brought the wrecked truck home after 15 months of off-site storage to start salvaging parts off of it and my wife is on my case to hurry and get rid of it. She can't stand to see it, so I have it covered with a tarp for now.

dustybumpers likes this.
  10. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Yeah, wives have a way of motivating us to get off our tails and finish our projects!

dustybumpers likes this.
  11. tom Founding Member

[​IMG]#ad
    I finally started removing parts from my wrecked '56 yesterday to use on the panel. I am amazed at how damaged the dash and steering column was, knowing I an what caused the impact. I will be glad when the time comes to start reinstalling parts on the panel.
    I now have a wire welder so I can repair the few areas of rust on the panel.

JWC 3 likes this.
  12. tom Founding Member

The mangled up cab and front sheet metal from the truck is gone. I hauled it to the scrap yard on Friday. The chassis is sitting in my yard under a tarp covered with several inches of snow. I will bring the panel to it's forever home in a few days.

13. tom Founding Member

I've had some setbacks and not been able to get anything done to the panel yet but I believe that I am now able to get busy on it. I hope I can get it together and on the road pretty soon.
    The friend that I was able to buy the panel back from, after almost 18 years of indoor storage also had two '56 trucks. I think I will try to get them from him too! I should have enough '56s to last me my lifetime and leave one to each of my grandsons.
    Neither one is a big window but they are both good solid trucks 20190305_131450.jpg #ad

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
    dustybumpers likes this.
  14. oledad Founding Member

They look really solid. Save all the old trucks we can! Good luck, Steve

15. tom Founding Member

I found out that I can't buy the two pickup trucks, at least not right now, but that's ok. I need to get busy and stay with the panel truck to get it on the road.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >