My truck's status

Discussion in '2004 - 2008 Ford F150 Truck Forum' started by FTZ HAIC, Apr 22, 2015.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

2006 F150, Roush version, lots of upgrades.

It's been ultra reliable all these years. 54,000 miles in 9 years, most of that in the first two years. Now it's a weekend cruising truck. 3 weeks ago I was backing it out of the shop building and suddenly white steam started pouring out the back, quickly followed by knocks from the engine before I could reach for the key.

Turned it off, checked everything out... a complete fluke on a part that almost never fails: the intercooler sprung a leak and dumped a gallon of coolant down the intake into the engine. So I'm looking at an engine overhaul.

I've decided to turn lemons into lemonade, and I'm going to get the thing built to handle much more power.

Tags:
  2. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

Sorry for the SNAFU .
    Keep us posted on the progress !

3. 67nukeford Founding Member

Looking forward to seeing what you do with it, Ken!

4. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

Sooooo. did it hydro lock, and break something?
    or just clean the walls of the cyls real good and make it burn oil?

5. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Hydro lock, I'm pretty sure because it was making some viscous noises, both in the engine's top end and the supercharger. I have a feeling the leak was facing upwards and it blew the coolant up into the supercharger blades judging by the noise the blower made. I haven't pulled anything yet, I've been really busy with two other vehicles going into the shop, and driving out to Georgia getting our old house up for sale.

6. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

That sucks.
    I had an IDI 7.3 that fuel hydrolocked. Most sickening screech/ crunch I ever heard.
    We lucked out on that one, Nothing was damaged too bad, and a fuel pump rebuild fixed it back up

7. KW5413 Vet Zone Texas Chapter Founding Member

Shhhh... I will whisper so Peggy won't hear but, more power may require a look at a beefed up tyranny and rear end. :)

8. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

I had the transmission was built by Darrin Burch to handle 1000+ HP. Prior to the truck going down, it could go full lockup on the torque converter in 2nd gear at wide open throttle with 0% data logged slip. Rear end was built back in 2008. :) I knew one day I'd need it, lol. Going to need to beef up the transfer case after this, since I like launching in 4wd!

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >