< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. Terminator

I have a 1979 F250 4wd, I have replaced everything in my steering system, new ball joints, tie rod ends, gear box, new tires, new shocks. as you drive the truck is got a mind of his own from left to right and right to left, it just doesn't want to stay straight on the road,

Any ideas

Tags:
  2. Preston

its typical with dentsides mine used to do the same thing

3. Preston

just go under 60 if you can it fixes it slightly

4. iicap

First is this an all stock suspension??? Did you have the Toe-In checked?? It should be "0"degrees/inches, with radial tires. There may be slight Toe-In with bias tires. Caster, also known as the ("Inclination Of The Kingpin"), is another alignment dimension that needs to be checked and set. Caster has all to do with the steering returning to straight ahead. And not have to correct steering that constantly goes left and right on it's own. Caster explained more if you need it.

There is another setting called "Camber" no discussion on that at this time.

Cap

Last edited: Sep 6, 2022
  5. Terminator

6. Terminator

Everything has been done, new tires, new wheel bearings, new ball joints, new tie rod ends, new gear box, stock suspension, did the alignment, you name it, it has been done.
    Thank you.

7. Terminator

under 30 and it still does it. Truck has a mind of is own

8. RP67F100

I have had many 2 and 4WD fords and have always taken to a local Alignment shop. They have always set the toe in with a slight pull to the left. This would stop the wondering, and didn’t cause any tire wear. Much better than constantly chasing it from one side to the other

9. Preston

well i dont know then man

10. Preston

honestly i would just try asking a machanic or a person who knows more about this problem

11. Preston

or just trouble shoot

12. Terminator

It might work, I will ask the alignment guy.

Preston likes this.
  13. Terminator

I might buy a set of Heavy Duty steering stabilizers

Preston likes this.
  14. RP67F100

In my experience, the stabilizers made a big difference with the caster shake that fords are famous for, but didn’t fix the wondering. As long as all front end components are in good shape, the slight left pull in the tie rod usually works

Preston likes this.
  15. Preston

i probably would too if i was you.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
virtuoso