Neutral safety switch help

Discussion in '1967 - 1972 Ford F100, F250 and F350 Truck Forum' started by RP67F100, Nov 5, 2023.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. RP67F100

Trying to find the correct neutral safety switch for my 67 which didn’t have one originally
    I believe my engine, transmission and steering column are all from a 79 F100 donor. No mount bracket on steering column, but transmission does have mounting bolt bosses by the shift link. I orders a switch to mount there , bolts will line up but it won’t fit on the shaft. Two bosses on the switch with no indentations on the shaft so it won’t slide on.
    I have included pics of transmission, switch and transmission number. Hope someone has an idea.
    Thanks in advance

IMG_2769.jpeg #ad

IMG_2768.jpeg #ad

IMG_2767.jpeg #ad

Tags:
  2. Oldiesask

That switch was used on Lincoln C6, and some other cars, so the transmission body is set up for it, however, It may not have been used on trucks prior to '80, which could be why your trucks shift arm was not grooved.
    I have a core '80 truck transmission, I will see if it is grooved when I am next out that way, but it may not have the same profile as yours. You may be able to machine your arm, but that will take precise measurements.

3. RP67F100

Thanks for your help, I guess I need to figure out what year transmission I have so I hopefully get the correct switch. It’s already been rebuilt and ready to be installed, so really don’t want to open it up to machine the shaft.

Any advice is much appreciated

4. Oldiesask

I grabbed the arm from that '80 today, it has the grooves, but is clearly angled differently than yours. I looked at some other trucks I have, '77 has no grooves, but '78-9 do, so I think they started using the transmission mounted switch in '78, when they changed the column, and earlier trucks used a switch mounted on the column.
    With the transmission out, where you can work easily, you may be able to grind some slots with a dremmel, but If it were me, I would get a '78 arm from a local transmission shop, and swap it out.

5. iicap

More of a Question than helping with your problem. Is there a # cast on the transmission case that starts with a C for the 60's, D for the 70's and the following #, e.g. C8 being 1968, D9 being 1979. Like you would find on engine blocks, manifolds, distributors, water pumps. To tell you just what the actual year is of your engine, transmission and maybe a # on the steer column too?? The 4 trucks I have are all standard shift and 1 may end up with an auto transmission. My question is for more knowledge of what I might run across. Thanks, Cap

6. Oldiesask

The shift arm off that '80 transmission has E0TP-CA, so a new part for '80, but probably still the same on my '84.
    There is a difference between casting #s and part #s, so any casting # on the case will only identify the raw casting, the finished casting would have an ink or paper #, which is long gone, but there will be a tag to identify the finished transmission, it may have been lost when the box was rebuilt.

RP, If you want that '80 arm, you can have it for shipping cost, it is shorter than yours, but could be cut and welded. Or just use it to match up the grooves when modifying yours.

7. RP67F100

Here are the 2 numbers I found cast into the transmission housing. Thanks for the help

IMG_2770.jpeg #ad

IMG_2768.jpeg #ad

8. RP67F100

So I found another shift arm with the groves for the switch, had to add a a little length to the shift link cause of a different angle on the new arm. But it clears the header better, so all is good
    Thanks for the help

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >