New Engine at 92,500 miles

Discussion in '2009 - 2014 Ford F150 Truck Forum' started by DaveO, May 13, 2022.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. DaveO

Recently brought my 2013 F150 eco-boost 5.0 with 92,500 miles to Ford dealer for error code 0307. Had already confirmed that code was for cylinder 7 misfire. Tried swapping coil pack myself with other coil pack, problem stayed with cylinder 7. New plug, same result. Ford service department confirmed issue, checked other potential problems, fuel injection, electrical..no other problems detected. Compression check resulted in issue. Valve issue, number 7 valve cylinder. Solution: New engine. Was also told, not only was engine hard to find but very expensive. Wasn't offered engine replacement but given ballpark figure of 10k. When asked if I could continue driving was told that would be okay but would eventually lose power which would indicate immenent engine failure. Hard to believe I need a new engine. Anyone else with similar experience.

Tags:
  2. captchas

this is coming from a former dealer service manager , and is advise only.
    pull the truck out and take it elsewhere , 92.000 miles personally i would be looking at many other spots that would cause a misfire first, items such as a warped intake manifold allowing a major vacuum leak, bad injector, excessivly carboned intake valves a BURNT valve .

have another shop do a leak down test, borescope look at the bore and open valves . make sure you don't just need a valve job which means pulling the heads not a full rebuilt motor which a dealer would try to sell as doing so pushes any issue that could possibly come up later into the hands of a rebuilder not the dealer,

3. DaveO

Thanks for the information. I'm going to take it to another shop with your suggestions. My only concern with that was paying again for the same diagnosis. I'll bring the print out from the dealer which will hopefully eliminate the need for the same testing. One other thing that puzzles that I forgot to mention, the check engine light will go off and on. Some times staying off for a hundred miles or more before coming back on. Seems to me, if the compression is the issue, that's not going to flucuate to the point where the problem will go away and come back.

4. captchas

hear that! while costly just another reason to have a 2nd opinion, comes and goes ,runs good and bad, did that dealer offer you to try and decarbon the intake system with chemicals? did they pin box check the harness? esp the injector wiring?

5. DaveO

Didn't offer anything. Have a 2nd opinion scheduled for 6/15. Will let you know how it goes. Thanks again for checking in.

6. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

A valve, unless it dropped into a cylinder, smacked a piston or something else like that is unlikely to cause such dramatic damage that it requires a full engine replacement. A rebuild would cost a heck of a lot less... but many dealers do not do engine rebuilds. When the only tool they have is a hammer... everything is a nail!

captchas likes this.
  7. DaveO

Agreed. Pretty sure neither of those things happened and I'm not really convinced I even need a rebuild. Hoping for a better outcome with second opinion.

8. captchas

i'm with ken about a hammer. dealers today IMMO! are simply parts changers, many can't not fix their way out of a paper bag, they lack seasoned old time mechanics who have true diagnostic abilities' or any who want to take the time to do so.
    from my dealer days, dealer's would not rebuild or repair , in the case of a motor or transmission, the cure was a factory rebuilt unit, doing so transfers any possible warranty repairs off the dealers back to the unit rebuilder taking the claim off the back of the dealer,

again IMMO, there are several things that cause misfires, at 92k i would be looking first at a bad coil pack, injector sticking, wiring to the injector , carboned intake valve causing it to stick in the guide . also the 5.0 has a plastic intake that has had issues with warping allowing for a vacuum leak that causes misfiring.
    good luck

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >