New Fuel Tank

Discussion in 'Ranger, Explorer, Bronco II and Sport Trac Forum' started by subsecret, Nov 18, 2015.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. subsecret

So I'm helping a friend put a new fuel tank in his 1987 Ranger with 177 CID V6, and I ordered the new tank for him online from Spectra Premium. The tank is covered with some sort of lubricant, probably from when the halves of the tank were stamped. Should I rinse the inside of the tank with gasoline to remove this material, or will it be okay for the engine to burn it? I'm just not sure if the stuff has a bunch of additives in it, or if it's more similar to motor oil.

Thanks.

Tags:
  2. KW5413 Vet Zone Texas Chapter Founding Member

I put a new Spectra tank in my 1970 Nova. Made sure, as best we could, that there was no trash in it and hung it. No issues except it won't take as much fuel thru the neck as the original.

3. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

I have installed many of them . Never had an issue, never flushed a new tank .

56panelford likes this.
  4. 56panelford TOTM Winner Founding Member Canadian Chapter

The outside of my tank is covered with what you describe but not in the inside as far as I can tell, probably just a rust inhibitor. Mines from Spectra also.

5. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

I have never cleaned them inside.

I have cleaned the outside, and put Eastwoood's rust encapsulator on them though

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >