New key fobs... Have to buy 2 at one time?

Discussion in '2017 - 2022 Ford F250+ Super Duty Forum' started by Misspeabodi, Aug 17, 2020.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. Misspeabodi

20200817_065941.jpg #ad
    I have a 17 f250 xl that has NO door key pad and it's not push button start. It's only equipped with a fob that has a flip out key, lock and unlock and alarm buttons.

Recently one of my 2 key fobs was taken by an ex. So I called my local dealership who said I have to buy a new key in order to reprogram the truck to a new 'code', which would make the key my ex has not able to start the truck. Once the truck is there, they said I have to buy 2 keys for the programming to go through, so I reluctantly did.

I get the truck back, one of the fobs doesn't work. I go back. Dude reprograms the old key and the 2nd new one, now I have 3 keys that work.

Question: did I really need to buy 2 new keys or could they have just reprogrammed the single old key to a new code? I feel like I may have been duped but I'm not sure.

View attachment 28076 #ad

Martin53 likes this.
  2. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

You do need two keys to program a third using the procedure found many places online. Most dealers, but not all, have the equipment to program a single key though based on the VIN.

Misspeabodi likes this.
  3. Misspeabodi

Thanks for the response. It seemed plausible so thanks for verifying, I really appreciate your time.

4. Redstarn

we would say your ex s key will still work all 4 are probably same

5. DonW

This is all after the fact I know BUT...I have w work truck, 17 RAM 1500. Only one FOB which took a dumb....almost! Wouldn't unlock doors, and you as much as wiggle it the horn would blow. Went to local True-Value Hardware, they ordered a new FOB went tp parking lot, programed the new one Just barely over $200. Dealer wanted $400!

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >