New Owner of 1966 F-250... Need Help!

Discussion in '1961 - 1966 Ford F100, F250 and F350 Truck Forum' started by rukus83, Dec 30, 2017.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. rukus83

Hey All,

I just purchased a truck from a guy who was using this truck as his work truck. Worked fine when I went to test drive it, worked fine when I drove it home. Tried starting it up today, the engine just whizzes and doesn't turn over. I thought it was the battery because I left it on ACC when I turned it off, not knowing that turning the key all the way to the left puts it on ACC. I bought a trickle charger to charge the battery but it's still just whizzing. I'm new to working on cars and i'm hoping to learn on this truck. I only have basic knowledge of cars and am used to the newer cars. Need any help I can get. Thanks

Help!

Tags:
  2. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

So the starter is turning, but not turning the engine? I just want to make sure I understand before I attempt to help :)

dustybumpers likes this.
  3. Campspringsjohn Founding Member

Since the ACC was turned on, I assume the battery is likely dead. Get it charged, or try jump starting it. Also, check the battery connections. Make sure they are good and clean. And welcome to FTZ!

dustybumpers likes this.
  4. rukus83

I bought a trickle charger and charged the battery to full capacity re-installed the battery and still just whizzes. Another member said that it could be the starter or the flywheel so gonna start with that tomorrow

dustybumpers and Campspringsjohn like this.
  5. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

You mentioned in the welcome thread about posting a video for us. That would be very helpful

6. 1970something TOTM Winner Founding Member

i wonder if there is a "flat spot" on the flywheel Charlie.

rukus, since it is a 66 i am assuming it has a manual transmission rite?
    if it is parked where it will roll try getting it rolling a bit and let out on the clutch with transmission in first gear or reverse, what ever direction the truck is facing. this should turn the engine over slightly to allow the starter to engage a good spot on the flywheel.

7. rukus83

1970something, yes, it is a manual. I tried what you said. I rolled it backward a bit and let out he clutch in reverse. Still wont turn over. I'm attaching a video of what it sounds like when I try to start it.

8. 1970something TOTM Winner Founding Member

bendix in the starter is sticking/bad.
    that is what kicks the starter drive gear out into the flywheel.
    do you have a local rebuild shop close by the house? i would take it to a rebuilder and have him take a look. and auto parts store will most likely not have the parts to fix it, and will want to sell you a mass produced rebuilt starter.

9. rukus83

Ok, so it is the starter. So i'm not really looking to keep everything stock. I really want it just to be reliable want to use the truck to haul things maybe make it a little nicer so i can take the wife around in it every once in a while. So if i get this duralast starter:

https://www.autozone.com/batteries-starting-and-charging/starter/duralast-starter/336719_23521_0

and install it, it will do the job?

10. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

That starter will work. make sure it has a lifetime warranty

11. rukus83

Awesome thanks! I will most definitely be back with more questions undoubtedly thanks again guys. Btw where is all you guys from? I’m in Anaheim, CA. Would like to gain some truck guy friends grab a beer or something.

12. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

Pop is our Cali guy.
    Tom and I are on the other side

13. Seabiscuit Volunteer Moderator Vet Zone Vet Zone Leader Oregon Chapter Founding Member

You might check to see if there is a core charge. If there is you will need to take your old starter in. You might want to do that anyway. They should be able to put it on their testing machine and do an no cost test just to make sure the obvious really is the problem.

Bertha66 likes this.
  14. rukus83

Sounds good thanks for the advice

15. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

Smack on it with a hammer ( without busting it)
    it will probably turn over a few more times.
    Maybe

rukus83 and Seabiscuit like this.
< Previous Thread | Next Thread >