New Project (like I Need A New Project ?)

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by jniolon, Dec 12, 2015.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. jniolon Article Contributor Founding Member

Had an opportunity to pick this up... couldn't pass it up...
    1985 Benz 380 SE got a 4.7L FI engine double overhead cam... I think

been sitting up probably 10 years... they tried to start it in 14 ...no luck... probably bad gas...

anyway... it's sitting in MY yard now with the battery on charge. I need someone with Mercedes experience I guess and the dealer wants 2nd mortgage money

If you were going to try to get it running after sitting so long... what would you do and in
    what sequence... I figure drain the gas, change the oil... talk to me Img_0787.jpg #ad
    Img_0790.jpg #ad

Tags:
  2. 56panelford TOTM Winner Founding Member Canadian Chapter

Nice car John, I'm also attrated to what looks to be an old truck on the other side of the fence but that's not the point of this thread so I'll leave it be.....for now.:) This would likely be a fuel injected car ?

3. KW5413 Vet Zone Texas Chapter Founding Member

Any history as to why it was sitting around. Or on the car itself. Looks pretty good.

4. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

That is incredible condition for the year.

New spark plugs. Pull the injectors, and clean them. Disconnect fuel filter, then remove the cap from the fuel rail (where the injectors plug in) this will allow any old in the rail to drain out. Change the fuel filter then.

5. jniolon Article Contributor Founding Member

car belonged to a friend of a friend... he had bought it used in 1990 and drove it a few years... bought a newer one and just parked it... last oil change sticker says 2004...Kids tried and tried to get him to sell it or give it away but he just kept it in the basement and never drove it... last few years he couldn't drive at all and he passed away this year... both parents gone now and the kids (all grown with kids) who all live out of state are trying to 'close up' the house and get rid of 48 years of accumulation. Hard job... had to do it twice myself.

My friend put me with her friend and the deal was done... It's in good shape cosmetically... one hole in front seat and a few dings but to be 30 years old it's a beauty... always garage kept. I don't know about how it was maintained. Mercedes is particular about using "their" oil and fluids and fixing every little thing on a regular basis... and the 126 classes are known for being peculiar and service heavy... camshafts and gaskets and lots of piddly stuff. . A local dealer might be able to shed some light and I'll contact them sometime... they will probably want to charge me for the service record. I know I am the third owner. It'll be fun to tinker with it.

Ken, I'll start with your suggestions before I ever turn it over... gotta find out what and where everything is... it doesn't look anything like any engine I've worked on... I'll get a pic and post it tomorrow. Next door neighbor has a lift in his barn... but with it not running it's gonna be hard to get it there... we'll see what happens.

Everybody needs ANOTHER project, right ??
    j

6. OldjunkFords Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Tear zee German clunkermeister motor out and install a 351W or god forbid, a 350 chevy with appropriate transmissions.

7. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

Ken started you on the proper track .
    You will likely find electrical issues and
    Vacuum issues also . Plan on a new fuel
    pump. And don't be shocked if new injectors are needed . I just went through
    this with a BMW .
    1103151218.jpg #ad

56panelford likes this.
  8. jniolon Article Contributor Founding Member

well... here's the engine room.... injectors look like they will be fun to remove
    Img_0793.jpg #ad

9. 56panelford TOTM Winner Founding Member Canadian Chapter

Glad it's you working on it John:)

10. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

Oh hell..... I would be more worried
    about the fuel dizzy . Haven't seen
    one of those in a while . Forgot about
    them!

56panelford likes this.
  11. jniolon Article Contributor Founding Member

Boshes revenge for people making fun of them..... well, it was running when they parked it !!! taking odds I get fresh gas, clean the plugs, top off the battery,,, give it a shot of starter fluid.... and it fires right up... purrs like a german kitten

12. 56panelford TOTM Winner Founding Member Canadian Chapter

Congrats John, looks like you have a snazzy running car. :)

13. jniolon Article Contributor Founding Member

you misread..... my intent was to say "I'm taking odds on whether that will happen... long odds probably"

14. 56panelford TOTM Winner Founding Member Canadian Chapter

Guess I did misunderstand, I thought you were up and running.

15. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

No doubt about vacuum for sure. Rubber and plastic just seems to go to crap if they aren't used. Funny, how not using a car can degrade some things.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >