New Tesla truck

Discussion in 'General Truck Discussion' started by FTZ HAIC, Dec 1, 2019.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

I'm sure most of you have seen the upcoming Tesla truck in the news. For those who haven't, here's a link:

https://www.tesla.com/cybertruck

I've seem some ugly trucks before, but this is the worst looking design I've ever seen for a truck. And the capabilities, well they say the version with 3 electric motors can tow 14,000lbs, but this thing has no frame, and I can't imagine it being all that strong. The lack of frame is the reason why the bed and body share the same sheet metal, and the long slopping angle on the bad end... to have the body shell do the work of a frame without twisting.

It reminds me of the Honda Ridgeline, a truck designed by car people. Maybe it's just me, but I can't see anyone pulling up to a construction site in one of these without being laughed at. I have no issues with the concept of an electric truck and would buy one if I were in the market and it met my needs ---- but there's no way I could ever pull the trigger and but this ugly thing.

Tags:
  2. UltraMan

I've seen a rendering of this cybertruck in black and I kinda like it.

3. 1970something TOTM Winner Founding Member

looks like something my 3 year old grand daughter drew a few years ago.

hhhmmmmm. i wonder if they stole her plans?

4. KW5413 Vet Zone Texas Chapter Founding Member

What this truck tells us is there will be a seismic shift in truck design over the next few years. Same with cars. Design is going to be on the fast track to catch up technology.

5. Brown Falcon Vet Zone Oregon Chapter

Looks like a DeLorean and a El Camino had a baby.

whomrig likes this.
  6. XDM45 Vet Zone Founding Member

The boys from 'The Fast Lane Truck' have been playing with it......along with other electric truck/SUV makes like Bollinger.....and have run into 2 major problems they ALL face:

Severe drop in range under load. (like a 2/3 drop type of 'severe')

Severe drop in range while off-road.

They are issues. If you want to slip into the truck/SUV field, you are talking off-road and carrying/towing stuff. Not just you on the open highway cruising and listening to tunes.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >