New to forum. Just bought a 1953 F-100 to do frame up retoration.

Discussion in '1953 - 1956 Ford F100, F250 and F350 Truck Forum' started by KT53, Jul 28, 2019.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. KT53

Hi all

I just purchased a 1953 Ford F-100 to do a frame up restoration. I have never done one so can use as much help as I can get. Looking for guidance on adjusting my steering play. I put the steering column in to move truck into the garage. I may have installed the drag link incorrectly. Does anyone know how to adjust the link. too much play in it..

Tags:
  2. jniolon Article Contributor Founding Member

KT,
    this might help,

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/1954-ford-help-steering-adjustment.786251/

most ford steering boxes have a bolt with a lock nut on it that takes up the slack inside the box... service manual will help you too. Fords were bad about bearing wear on the end bearings in the box... Also check all in the steering assembly, (tie rod ends, king pins, idler arm, etc for excessive wear and replace whats bad before tackling the box... too much adjustment (to tight) will do more harm than good inside the box..

what are your plans for the truck ?? stocker or streeted... post some pics and tell us your plans. You do have a plan already right ??

john

3. KT53

IMG_2919.jpg #ad
    Hi

Thanks for the response. My son and I are going to do this project. Him with the physical and me with the financial of course. At this point it has a 6 cylinder with 3 speed manual already installed. The frame was blasted and all new brakes and lines installed. Cab was just placed back on it and we will take it off and continue with body work and all the panels. We may do a V8 swap but for now just want to get it ready for paint and get it road worthy. The truck came with many extra parts. 2 additional hoods , 4 fender and 2 extra doors, 1 extra grill. If anyone is interested in those parts I would sell them. Also came with 2 extra 9 inch rears as well. I would like help with assembly if there are any books or videos. Couldn't find one on youtube if you can believe that. I may do videos myself.. I will follow this post with a photo of what it looks like now and as we go along Thanks

Last edited: Jul 30, 2019
  4. jniolon Article Contributor Founding Member

KT check your PM's (upper right hand corner of page)

5. KT53

I took a look at the suggested sites. I then checked and seen the play is in my Drag link. I may have installed it incorrectly. Any diagram of how to line up the spring and parts inside the drag link.. Thanks KT

6. Fabman In Memoriam Vet Zone Staff Alumni Oregon Chapter Founding Member

KT53 likes this.
  7. bjmayberry2 Founding Member

8. KT53

9. captchas

KT53 likes this.
  10. KT53

Hi

Does anyone know if you can use the air deflectors from a 1956 for a 1953 F-100.

11. captchas

12. KT53

I went to LMC truck and the listed Air deflector for. 53 - 55. 56 was different with just the bucket indentation. Thanks for the response.

13. Greg Rogers

Looks like a good project KT. One thing I recommend though is don't sell any of your extra parts until you are done. You may find you need them later.

14. KT53

Your 100% right. Have parted with a few and did find I could have used some of it. Thanks.. KT

15. KT53

Your 100% right. Did sell a few parts and found I needed one of them already. Good advise Thanks KT

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >