New to me 2014 FX4

Discussion in '2009 - 2014 Ford F150 Truck Forum' started by Koz99, Dec 7, 2017.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. Koz99

I recently purchased my dream truck, a 2014 F150 FX4 5.0l with 45k miles, after driving a 2008 Durango 5.7 hemi (put 205,000 miles on it before trading in). I love the truck but it doesn't quite have the same spunk as the Hemi, I can live with that because the ride is so nice. However, I noticed this week that the RPMs spike a little between 3rd and 4th gear and the engine races just a bit before shifting the gear. I'm not a motor head but know enough to be dangerous. I'm thinking that maybe its an airflow problem and not necessarily a transmission issue since temps here in the South Jersey area have dipped lately. Any thoughts on what could be the issue? Contemplating a new K&N high-perf air intake but don't want to add-on until I figure this out. Thanks

Tags:
  2. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

Welcome to the site!

Stick with the stock style air cleaner, the K&N's have to be cleaned and oiled frequently to be effective in my opinion

Check the codes, especially if you have an ABS light on, my bet, you have a speed sensor acting up

3. Koz99

Thanks for the feedback. The ABS light IS NOT on and neither is the check engine light, should I still check the codes? I was able to check codes on my dodge by turning the ignition 3x and they popped up on my mileage indicator, do the ford's have that trick or do I need a computer?

4. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

It will require a scanner for that, and a better one than the one at the auto parts store

the scanner plugged in by your feet under the dash
    Once in the tech will select scs, and go. If there are codes, it will come up as C- and a 4 number code

We have a member here that will be along soon from Joisey, not sure how far from you, he may be able to help

Tom?

5. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

When you say it races, how much? Reason I ask is the torque converter on these newer trucks have lockup schedules set for better mileage, and they can lockup immediately after the shift at lower throttle settings. So it actually shifts softly since the converter is open, then when it locks the RPMs drop.

If it's a huge difference in RPM at light throttle then it's probably not the converter, could be any number of things like the idle air control valve, throttle position sensor, or the motor on the throttle body sticking.

6. Koz99

So the more I drove it over the weekend the more I re-evaluate my observations. The RPMs' are actually NOT spiking but the engine sounds like it is throttling up, almost like when you punch it and it bogs out a little but without actually punching it. it randomly does it on its own without additional pressure on the gas pedal. Took a tech at the local ford dealer for a test ride yesterday and taking in for service Thursday, hoping it is just a computer issue or something inexpensive to repair after having just purchased it 2 months ago

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >