Newly rebuilt c6 transmission making clicking noise

Discussion in '1980 - 1986 Ford F150, F250 and F350 Truck Forum' started by lazbiker, Dec 8, 2016.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. lazbiker

I just rebuilt my C6 transmission in my 1984 F-150 351w 4wd. The transmission works perfectly with the exception that it now has a clicking noise. Without tearing it back apart, does anyone have any idea what it may be? It clicks throughput the speed range regardless of gear selected. I rebuilt it myself.

Also, is the starter the same between the different versions of the 351? I'm going through starters. First start after installation is perfect operation. It then begins grinding and eventually is free spinning with no ring gear contact.

Tags:
  2. Paul Masley Founding Member

This is just a rough guess, but it sounds like the park pawl is just barely catching on the indent ring.

As for the starter, it sounds like it is not aligned and the override clutch is not spinning up to disengage and retract. A bad cut or hollowed out mount point will turn the started either towards (your problem) or away from the flywheel ring. An out of spec ring on the converter will also cause this.

lazbiker and FTZ HAIC like this.
  3. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

Silly question....
    Did you put the motor plate back in between the motor and transmission?

56panelford likes this.
  4. lazbiker

Yes the motor plate is in place.

As for the park pawl, I dont remember it being adjustable. Is it?

5. Paul Masley Founding Member

pawl.jpg #ad
    If I remember right, there is a detent spring that pulls it up when in gear. If it is installed wrong, the pawl will float....

56panelford likes this.
< Previous Thread | Next Thread >