next project

Discussion in 'Other Projects' started by captchas, Apr 20, 2017.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. captchas

next project after i get done with the next round in the hospital is going to be getting back to running my 32 ford todor sedan, right now it has a 1965 K code 289 in it that needs a rebuild, got a guy offering big bucks for it to go into a gt350 he is building since this one doesn't have a vin stamped in it.plus the date code is right for his build. by big bucks for the motor i mean enough to build another motor and finish the car,
    sitting in the garage is a 69 302 from a truck . a 69 351 cleveland , and a 69 SC 429, the motor i'm thinking about building is the 302 since parts are cheaper to find. a lot are in stock already,i'm thinking in line of making it a 347 stroker mill, gt 40 heads from a 96 expolder that i have a pair of nos in the boxes. i have a edlebrock intake that will work with a fitech FI. already has a good c4 auto and a 9 inch.

thing that bothers me is a lot of talk about SB fords spilt'ing in half down the middle. when built to far.
    anyone have better first hand about the issue before i go and build that oldie but goodie?
    i doubt the motor will ever twist past 5.5k i just want a nastie sounding motor that runs good. as i don't want to do like in the other oldies i have, all have chevy and buick in fords. the 28 pu has a 4 banger chevy, the 32 vickie has a 401 nail head. the 33 roadster has a chevy 350 and a 5 speed

Tags:
  2. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

I like the little 302's.
    I prefer the 85 and newer roller cam blocks though

3. 1970something TOTM Winner Founding Member

agreed. my falcon is getting a 89 5.0 HO with E-303 cam, 1.7 roller rockers, roller lifters, 73 52ccc "D" chamber heads with large plugs, and a set of hipo manifolds. it is getting topped with an edelbrock performer intake and 700CFM performer carb. 396 HP at 4800 RPM.

4. captchas

problem in jersey is emission laws , anything newer then around 74 or 75 had cats, so since i lost the old title for inspection to get it re-titled i'd have to fit it with cats, if i use the 69 block it becomes emissions exempt. if i junk the 69 block and use roller block or a dart or world block i need cats'
    just worried about building a nice motor only to have it become a semi v8 aka custom 4 like the old IH's and pontiac's had when both companies sawed off a v8 making their own slant 4's

32_front lowered.jpg #ad

0827101431c.jpg #ad

5. Greywolf Vet Zone Staff Alumni Founding Member

That's a sweet looking ride, man

With the ponies I hear people are getting from 2.3 and 2.5 liter fours I wonder if a turbo'd I-4 would be an option that looks even more period correct, but would be very up to date in a lot of ways

The local Mustang Yoda across the street was telling me 600+ HP was do-able with a 2.3 or 2.5 four

6. captchas

it is dutch! stock 2.3 makes something like 325 or 345 in a stang or Lincoln. shops have pushed way more out of them
    can't stick a 4 banger into a 32 that would never go over anywhere, right now I have a 65 K code 271 hp 289 in it, tied to a AOD transmission and a 9.0 rear holding 3:55's. want to go with another motor sense the K has a offer of BIG $$$ to sell it.
    don't want to have to deal with emissions issues like I did with the cobra,but yes using a 4 banger is easy, here's proof

DSC00364.JPG #ad

DSC00355.JPG #ad

DSC00477.JPG #ad

7. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

8. redprowler

Any updates regarding this build?

9. captchas

yes it is now back on the front burner and being worked on, motor wise after selling the K code 289 for 4k and my 429 cjet for another 3k which left me with not many choices so i dug out 1 of my hard to say this CHEVY motors a 69 CEO service 396 that needed a RB, it's right now at the machine shop being bored to a 427 , nothing fancy going in it. stock save a thumper cam ad kit, alloy intake with a 750 holley transmission again from the piles a 700 r4, rebuilt by a buddy with a manual shift VB, rear wise i could use some help

i have a few 9.0 fords laying around 1 i think will be a better fit under the 32, it came out of a versailles has stock disc brakes on it, yes i know the issues ,
    anyone know more about them? width bearing to bearing/axle flange to flange / i'm getting crazy numbers that i doubt are right. 57.25 iches axle flange to flange? it's for sure a centered as the tubes are are coming up equile center.

it's only going to be fun car for cruise in's show off burn rubber car.

NJ title wise don't ever loose your pink slip in NJ, what a royal PITA to get a new one, cost me almost 2k in searches of 6 states and fees to get what had been in my name since 1984 replaced . upside is it's all 100% legal

10. captchas

another update
    2 new front steel fenders came in from brookwood , just as robust as real henrys , motor update NO 396/402 as the CEO block turned up cracked under the deck when checked , we found a running 502 from a boat locally mk six roller cam blocks lack a fuel pump mount so a 6 lb electric must be used to feed the 950 holley .swapping in a hot thumper cam for some rumble finished doing a RB of the 9.0 rear, added a locker and 3:55 gears 31 spine axles narrowed to 56 inches ,700r4 transmission is done so we are getting close to bolt it together and wire time .
    lots of work getting done making 3 cars almost ready

11. captchas

again for a 6th time in 11 years this one is back into the shop from in and out storage , only this time it's going all the way to finish, zero boat motor, another cracked block just below the deck ,when will people learn to drain a and winterize marine motors ? only it will be sitting on a brookville custom frame, motor is finalized as a brand new ZZ454-440 hp ยท Part Number: 19331574 alloy headed chevy crate mill backed up by a 700r 4 transmission , the 9.0 ford rear holds a 3:55 gear set with trutrack

front spring will have to have leafs added to overcome the 700 pound hulk of the 454 over what had been planned asa a sb , the body since it's already chopped 3 inches will only get new steel fenders to replace the glass, vintage air, american auto wire for the wiring needs ,originally it was going to stay on the original 32 frame, the brookville frame came about when another person decided they didn't like it and placed it up for sale CHEAPLY at 5k for a 14 k frame . we have to move the motor mounts back as it had been set up for a 48 flat head 5 spd tko combo

being busy sure helps clear my mind from the health issues i've had following the failed knee replacement , and undergoing the multiple surgery's to replace the first one,

20220112_142656.jpg #ad

20220112_142704.jpg #ad

20220112_142709.jpg #ad

20220112_142714.jpg #ad

20220112_142719.jpg #ad

Last edited: Jan 20, 2022
  12. captchas

PS

the owner also wants to use a fi tech EFI to fuel the beast motor, OMG a first for us, NO simple to tune holley

13. KW5413 Vet Zone Texas Chapter Founding Member

I loved the Holly Sniper EFI on my '76 Cutlass (recently sold). Luckily, I have a shop 2 mikes from the house that is certified to program them. Professional tuning made a HUGE difference.

captchas likes this.
  14. captchas

hear that and wish there was one near where we have the shop. and i will admit these newer aftermarket TBi units sure make a old muscle motor into way better daily drivers .i drove a 1965 327/350 hp vette with a holley sniper and was amazed at how much better the car ran .

15. captchas

just last week we found out about a hidden gem of a shop nearby that tunes them and has a 3500 hp chassis dyno to work off of, TG .had a chance to watch them run a set of dragster pulls on it .

https://www.facebook.com/saspartsandperformance/

FTZ HAIC and KW5413 like this.
< Previous Thread | Next Thread >