No electrical power at all--even with a NEW battery

Discussion in '1997 - 2003 Ford F150 Truck Forum' started by Jerry"s new F250, Apr 28, 2017.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. Jerry"s new F250

Parked the 2001 F150 Supercrew 5.4 in the driveway last night and today it won't do anything at all. No electrical power even with a new battery that I bought because of the problem. I checked the new battery and it has a strong spark, but not even the lights work...NOTHING WORKS. Is there a main fuse or something because no matter what I do I can't get anything to work. I even jumped the 2 large connectors on the solenoid and nothing. Nothing. Oh, I did jump across the positive batt and the body and got a good spark. I think that eliminates the possible grounding problem.
    Please...Please Can someone give me an idea of where to start looking???? THANK YOU

Tags:
  2. Campspringsjohn Founding Member

Sounds like you have a bad battery cable, or a bad connection on the positive side of the battery.

3. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

1493413197613-1268624855.jpg #ad

Fuse links.
    Pay close attention to the cable ends and cables.

4. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

STOP sparking that battery, and get a tester before it blows up in your face.........

5. Jerry"s new F250

I will be checking the fuse links and the condition of the cables...the actual clamps look ok, but I know there could be corrosion in the cable that can ruin it. Thanks...I will be checking this...gotta go 40 miles to see it. Later

6. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

So true. Many people aren't aware car batteries outgas hydrogen!

JWC 3 likes this.
  7. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

I've seen a battery explode. ..... not a pretty sight.
    Damage was unbelievable. ...
    It happened in a conversion van with the doghouse removed. An older Ford from the 80's.

56panelford likes this.
  8. Jerry"s new F250

I will take the advice and not spark the batt.
    Actually I had one blow its top when I welded too close to it and the boom rang in my ears for weeks.
    For this one time I sparked at the fender away from the batt with a wire. Still not safe.
    I trailered the truck to my driveway and it's late. Had to use a come-a-long to load it because the electric winch failed. Those trucks are heavy going up the steep loading ramps.
    I'm looking more and more for a corrosion issue.

9. Jerry"s new F250

Thanks everyone
    It was a corrosion issue
    I replaced the batt cable ends a few weeks ago with new heavy duty type and in the process I forgot to tighten the eyelet type end to the new part beyond finger tight. Everything worked find for a while......This problem was hidden in plain sight and it took hours to find it. Same thing COULD happen with badly corroded cable(s), but mine were not corroded.
    Ford Truck Zone ROCKS!!!!

10. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

Thanks for posting your fix!

11. whomrig TOTM Winner Founding Member Southwest Chapter

Proof again it doesn't take much to be a connection issue

JWC 3 likes this.
  12. Jerry"s new F250

That's right....a few weeks ago it was a corrosion issue, and this latest thing was a connection issue.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >