No More Ford / Lincolns For Me With Hancrook Tires...

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by KW5413, Sep 15, 2017.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. KW5413 Vet Zone Texas Chapter Founding Member

Well, I never knew it but, all of the tire manufactures exclude / void their warranties with regards tires supplied as OE on manufacturers automobiles. So, not only does Ford not warranty the tires but, in this case neither does Hancrook (Hankook). Even though all of the dealerships are quick to point out that the mfg. warranty does not include tires....They are just as quick to hand you the tire mfg. warranty booklet clearly implying that they are covered by the tire mfg. Then there is the fine print...generally found will all of the tire mfg. I have discovered.

* Exclusion
    • - This warranty is not applicable to original equipment (OE) tires.
    • - Repairable punctures are not covered under this warranty.

My daughter has a 2016 Explorer Sport A damn $ 55,000 vehicle. It came with, supposed, 55,000 mile Hancrook tires. At 20 months and 18,000 miles the tires are shot. The Ford dealership as the documented the appropriate alignment and rotations. But, Hancrook flatly denies any warranty relief or discount beyond what is locally or nationally advertised. Like we might ever buy another set of their POS tires again in the first place.

In fact, if Lincoln insists on keeping Hancrook on as their preferred vendor on the newly designed Navigator they will lose me forever. They are on my current Navigator and they are a POS, as well. Louder than the Bridgestone Dueler / ATs I have on my company truck. Those tires have 40K on them still have a lot of tread life.

An advertised 55,000 mile tire failing at 18,000 miles is unacceptable and any manufacturer walking away from their warranty simply because they sold to cheap to the OEM is BS. It tells me that they sold Ford, and my daughter, a tire that they didn't get and cannot be held accountable for it.

Tags:
    Campspringsjohn and dustybumpers like this.
  2. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

I've never been terribly fond of any OEM tires. Lowest bidder that meet their requirements :(

The Bridgestones that came on my F150 sucked.

3. KW5413 Vet Zone Texas Chapter Founding Member

These tires are advertised as 55,000 miles tires. That's the part that pisses me off and they will do nothing to support them. If they were a lesser tires it would be no big deal.

But, the fact remains that none of the tire mfgs are held accountable for their warranty on these supposed high end tires and all of the auto mfgs condone, if not support it. This top a of the line, All Wheel Drive Explorer and is touted with top of the line tires. As it turns out, they've placed junk rubber on it that wont make 20,000 miles and Ford is holding Hancrook's hands while they merrily skip down the Yellow Brick Road. Both companies disavowing any plausible financial cause.

Naturally, except to offer to sell them another set of tires, the Ford house is no help. As a Hancrook dealer they have done all they are going to do.

Then to top it off, their Motorcraft battery failed over the Labor Day weekend. Again, 20 months old. 18,000 miles. No dealership open so I bought them a new Motorcraft battery at O'Reilly's. They provided the "DEAD BATTERY' Documentation, receipt, etc. After making a smartass comment about carrying jumper cables, the Service Writer said they couldn't approve reimbursement and would have to send the info up to Ford (which I understand). The jury is still out on that.

If you recall, the Motorcraft battery in my last Navigator prematurely failed, as well. Starting to lose faith.....

dustybumpers likes this.
  4. clux Article Contributor Founding Member

Wow, I had a set of 10 ply Hankook dynapro's go over 90,000 miles on my company pickup.

5. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

I made Ford buy back my 03 f 350
    I kept my 15 F 450 for less than a year

No more new crap for me.
    I can buy crap parts and tires by myself, and blame myself.
    No need to have a service writer say things that make me angry

I'm still barred from Bob Bell Ford in Glen Burnie Md because of the 03, and what happened between me and the service writer

6. KW5413 Vet Zone Texas Chapter Founding Member

All the majors make good tires somewhere along the line. The problem I am having with this, is the warranty issue. Or the lack thereof. I buy / lease a hell of a lot of vehicles. Every single damn time the sales guy hands me the warranty book and singles out the the tire packet...informing me that the dealer / mfg doesn't handle the tires and to be sure and hold on to that information. If there are any tire issues the warranty would be through the tire mfg. There is ALWAYS, at the very least, an implied warranty at the point of sale. Lincoln, Ford, Genesis, Cadillac, Lexus, Hyundai...doesn't matter. All of them do it.

So, if the tire mfgs do not warranty their OE tires why the deception that a warranty even exists by the selling dealers? No need to even bring it up when taking delivery of your new toy. Most folks wouldn't even care to ask.

7. clux Article Contributor Founding Member

Why the deception?
    Have you met car salesmen?

dustybumpers likes this.
  8. KW5413 Vet Zone Texas Chapter Founding Member

Point taken....But, by then the sale is complete.

dustybumpers likes this.
  9. Campspringsjohn Founding Member

Somebody buying a $55,000.00 would, no SHOULD, expect to have a tire that's as good as the vehicle. Putting cheap tires on such a nice vehicle is terribly stupid on Fords part. At 18,000 miles and the tires are shot, something is wrong. If Ford did the rotating and balancing, and they are shot, then either Ford did something wrong like set them at an improper pressure, got the alignment wrong, your daughter's been doing a lot of burnouts, or the tires are junk. Somebody needs to make this right. If a warranty is implied, it should stand as a warranty.

10. KW5413 Vet Zone Texas Chapter Founding Member

The reason Ford did all the maintenance is because my SIL is a contractor at the dealership. So, it was easy for him to drive it in and have them do all maintenance, including oil changes. Tread wear BTW is documented as being even and tires well maintained. SIL is anal retentive on his stuff and a perfectionist with his work. Too much so...digs into his profits.

11. F350-6 Vet Zone Texas Chapter Founding Member

First, I'd like to offer you 10k for your current lincoln to save you the hassle of the whole tire issue.:)

I don't buy a whole lot of new vehicles, but always assumed like you did, the stuff they handed you about the tires was an actual warranty. (I understand not covering punctures) If it's as bad as you indicate, I'm surprised a lawyer hasn't started a class action lawsuit over this issue.

Then again, I remember how worthless those Uniroyal tires were on all the 80's GM pick ups.

12. KW5413 Vet Zone Texas Chapter Founding Member

It is that bad. And I am surprised, as well. Every tire mfg. warranty I researched makes the same claim. Warranty excluded on OE applications. And we all know that auto mfgs specifically exclude tires from exposure to any warranty liability. Even on paid for mfg extended warranties. They go to great lengths to let the consumer know that. But, the zero tire warranty, it seems, is a dirty little industry secret.

dustybumpers likes this.
  13. clux Article Contributor Founding Member

The lies go on forever and the bullpoop never ends.

XDM45 and dustybumpers like this.
  14. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

15. KW5413 Vet Zone Texas Chapter Founding Member

That's what my SIL tried to do and was denied directly by the Hancrook rep. No pro rate. No discount. No nothing. Again, referenced the exclusion of OE tires in their warranty statement as referenced above. I found the same thing you found which seems in contradiction to that.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >