No power at 7-pin trailer plug

Discussion in '2017 - 2022 Ford F250+ Super Duty Forum' started by Pops91710, Oct 5, 2020.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. Pops91710 Founding Member

For the first time since I bought my new 2019, I finally had the opportunity to go camping with my 5th wheel trailer. When I plugged in the trailer to the inside the bed plug all I got was left and right brake/turn signal. In fact, the dash panel said trailer status said: "No Trailer Connected". I tested each pin with a test light and a multi-meter both the bed plug the bumper plug and got identical results which were left and right brake/turn signal and that's all. Currently, the truck is at the dealer and I am waiting for their results. Why they haven't called to say they found the problem yet baffles me.

Has anyone else had this problem with that plug?

Tags:
  2. 1970something TOTM Winner Founding Member

these trucks are usually shipped without fuses for the trailer connections.
    to pull a trailer, you have to put the fuses in the under hood fuse box yourself.

3. Pops91710 Founding Member

That's just plain silly if true. Why would they do that when it is designated for towing and has a dedicated brake controller built into the dashboard. Boy! A lot sure has changed since 2003. Supposedly, camping world checked out that plug when they installed it in Feb when they set me up with the new superglide hitch and in-box plug. Well, I am sure Ford will find that out tomorrow. Unfortunately, their technician didn't get around to mine today! Grrrr!\
    Thanks again, 1970something!

4. Pops91710 Founding Member

here is what I have found: make sure the trailer is connected and then you press the brake pedal 3 seconds according to a Ford Service Bulletin on their factory integrated brake control with trailer module 12V charging system. In the manual it says Note: If your vehicle is equipped with a factory brake controller, the Battery (+) Orange wire is powered when you start the engine and you apply the brakes at least once when a trailer with brake lamps is connected. If your vehicle is not equipped with a factory brake controller, relays control the system and it becomes active when you power on your vehicle.

5. Pops91710 Founding Member

6. Pops91710 Founding Member

7. Pops91710 Founding Member

UPDATE---
    Got my truck back from the dealer. They said the 7-way plug was full of water. That baffles me! Anyway, I took it home and the next morning I looked out my bathroom window and saw the two plugs hanging down by the rear bumper. (see photo). The technician never plugged my bed plug back in! So, I took my truck for an oil change and my mechanic plugged it in for me. I called the dealer to say that was sloppy service and never heard back! inexcusable!.jpg #ad

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >