No Spark ,No Start Issue ...FRUSTRATED

Discussion in '1980 - 1986 Ford F150, F250 and F350 Truck Forum' started by jkelley, Mar 17, 2018.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. jkelley

So no baseball tourneys this weekend....I was able to work on the old t1986 F-150 , 300I6 truck...I have power going to the Dizzy through TFI Module & within inside the Distributor , I used the test light to check everything inside the dizzy I even touched the very top of the Distributor bare shaft without the Rotor Bugg on it and it lit up the test light BRIGHT ...I have power at the coil...So I put the rotor on and attached my led test light to the tab of the rotor and no Light , I even turned it over and No light ...So is the Rotor Bugg bad ?... Now my Starter relay is hanging up and when I turn the key on it turns the engine over even after turning ignition off...I have to go out there and hit the Starter relay with screwdriver to stop...I swear if its not one this its another ....My patients starting to run thin ...But I shall not be defeated...Feel free to chime in if you have any Ideas ...Thanks in Advance

Tags:
  2. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

First off, fix the starting relay.
    Next, don't test spark with a test light.
    Use a non led spark tester.
    A cheep spark tester can be made with a known good spark plug and a bit of wire.

3. jkelley

This is the second relay I have went through I have bought from O”reilly’s ..Just can’t figure out why I have no power to the distributor..

4. Muel Article Contributor Oregon Chapter

Kinda sounds like there is a wiring problem which could explain the Starter Relay hanging up.
    Check that the wires on the Starter Relay are correct.

5. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Had a starter relay do this on my 67, I ended up replacing it. In that case, it was simply age that caused it but I'd definitely look at the wiring to it first. Backwards wiring can cause it, or the accessory hot line wired to it instead of the battery line.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >