Not sure I belong here.

Discussion in '1948 - 1952 Ford F1, F2 and F3 Truck Forum' started by purplewg, Jun 16, 2015.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. purplewg

Got my 52 Ford F1 only to discover the frame is stamped with an F4 s/n. f4bb26768ea9309556c701c655d8f775.jpg #ad

Tags:
  2. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

does the tittle match the cab serial number?

3. 56panelford TOTM Winner Founding Member Canadian Chapter

Does the frame look like it's been shortened? Looks like you have the right stud count on your wheels for a F-1.

4. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

You belong. A lot of the labeling on the forums has to do with search engines. Descriptions which are too wordy don't always do as well. Less is often more when it comes to search engines.

5. purplewg

Yeah, I just saw this section was F1,F2, and F3. lol I think I might a bit of all of them. I crawled up under the truck last night and discovered the frame has been cut right behind the cab and a F1 rear frame welded on. Now they did a bang up job. It will break somewhere else before it breaks at the splice but...........now I planned to make a restomod anyway. So, should I continue and just use this frame, try to find a F1 frame and roll under it, or maybe try and put a Ranger frame under it? My plan right now is to just get it safe to drive for fun for a while but I want to start looking for a deal on other frames if that is path I take.

6. 56panelford TOTM Winner Founding Member Canadian Chapter

If you can drive it the way it is and it's titled to you why change anything, especially if the work on it was done well. From what I see of it in the picture it looks like a pretty good ride.

Woodmoto likes this.
  7. purplewg

Well, I am a planner. So, if I can look far enough ahead it gives me time to look for good deals and gather parts. If I knew I was going to do a frame swap instead of after market IFS, I might find a deal on one. Current plan is just to fix the brakes. The single reservoir doesn't work. Bought a dual and will make my own adapter. Next will probably be to get rid of the granny gear four speed and put in either a C4 or C6 depending on what I find.

8. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

I would make that one safe to drive, and have fun with it!
    Buy another frame, and build it while you drive that truck
    Later, you can pull the body and bed off that truck, and put it on the new frame.

That way you get to enjoy your new toy while you work on it

purplewg likes this.
  9. Greywolf Vet Zone Staff Alumni Founding Member

I'd say focus on the cab and bed. You are worried about a bastardized frame - another frame may come along, but as you said it is rigid and works.

Work with what you got, and bank some cash.

But if you do some driving around, you never know where you might find a truck that has a ruined cab and bed but a sound frame under it that someone just wants taken away

The TITLE of a pickup is based on the cab itself. That is where the VIN or serial number is found

The cab of the truck - IS the truck.

WORD

Last edited: Jun 17, 2015
    Woodmoto and purplewg like this.
  10. purplewg

Yeah, I have just about decided to make this one safe and forget the frame for now. Pulled the old master cylinder last night and plan to start making an adapter for a dual reservoir tonight. Brakes are pretty important. lol

11. AXracer Founding Member

Sorry, but that is not correct. The (only) legal ID on the early Ford trucks is the the number stamped into the frame. If you change/remove/replace any or all the rest of the parts except the frame it's still the same truck. If you replace only the frame it is a different truck. The tag on the cab is called the rating plate, and has no legal bearing.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2015
  12. AXracer Founding Member

Do you have a title in your hand that has the same ID number that is stamped into the frame?

13. purplewg

No but I do have a title that has a North Carolina assigned VIN on it. The truck was investigated and cleared for NC to assign a VIN. There are no S/n's on the truck other than the frame.

Woodmoto likes this.
  14. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

It depends on the state. Here in Alabama all they do is walk out and verify the VIN on the cab matches the existing title. If they are issuing a title in cases where you don't have one all they do is write down the VIN, look it up to make sure it isn't stolen. They won't hunt around for anything else. Same with trailers, etc. They don't look for the frame serial number, they look at the ID plate only.

15. Woodmoto Founding Member

Here in Texas they go by the number that is easiest to see, being the one on the glove compartment door, and mine matches what was on the Arkansas title that I transferred. At least that is what happened to me. I also have a 54 Panel that sits on a 56 F100 frame. I am hoping that I won't have a problem with that one either. We will see, maybe a few years down the road... I need to hurry up and retire so that I can work on trucks and woodies only...

dustybumpers and 56panelford like this.
< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
virtuoso