Nursing an abused 350 back to life.

Discussion in '1987 - 1991 Ford F150, F250 and F350 Truck Forum' started by Flatinit, Mar 14, 2021.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. Flatinit

Hi Everyone,

I've been looking round the forums for a few months now and first of all have to thank you all for so much knowledge, experience and wisdom. I've now got to the point where I'm stuck and am ready to introduce myself and ask a question!

I bought A 1991 F350 351 crane truck a few months ago and the poor thing has not had an easy life. I've worked on cars as a hobby for 30ish years, but never seen anything this bad... Horrible wiring botches, all manner of stuff under the hood ripped out and I'm pretty sure what looks like a shotgun shell hole in the floor pan!

Anyway, I had a no spark situation, that I have traced to a situation, where if I pull the SPOUT jumper the engine runs, as soon as I put it in, it dies. If I manage to get the running with it in, after about 30 seconds it suddenly dies.

PIP is showing ~8VAC. SPOUT on PCM side is reading ~6vDC.

The only code was for a TPS that I replaced this afternoon. Oh I also had a 512 (Keep Memory Alive) but that hasn't come back.

Other problems, that are probably unrelated are that the fuel gauge (which reads 1/4 KOEO) oil, water and spedo all don't work with the engine running. Voltage and Tach do.

If anyone has any ideas, I'd really appreciate some help with this old girl.

Thanks.

Tags:
  2. Greywolf Vet Zone Staff Alumni Founding Member

Its diagram time. My personal inclination is to build a new wiring harness one wire or wire snarl/birds nest at a time until no amateur monkey business is left anywhere

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >