New fuel pump and still no start on '95 F150

Discussion in '1992 - 1996 Ford F150, F250 and F350 Truck Forum' started by Jerry"s new F250, Mar 13, 2017.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. Jerry"s new F250

It's a '95 F150 4x4 5 speed shortbed 4.9 6 cylinder. It has been beat. First it ran badly. Then the shift forks broke and it was stuck in 3rd gear. I knew the engine needed help as the compression was 25--25 in two adjacent cylinders. Removed the head and had it fixed. Reinstalled everything very carefully. Went to start it and it did not. Checked everything until I was satisfied that I didn't miss anything. The fuel pressure was around 30 psi. I got a new regulator. The pressure now was around 30 psi. Boy that was fun. Now, I got a fuel pump from NAPA (Delphi FG0199) --was able to use the old pump to pump out the gas in the tank. Installed new pump and NO START. No fuel pressure at all. No fuel pump noise. Even jumping it at the diagnostic tap did not work. If you think I'm happy, you're wrong. I know that I either missed something or that the new pump is faulty. (And I know that I should have bench tested the pump first and I feel stupid for not doing that, but I was doing an all nighter and that is not recommended.)
    Any suggestions?? Thanks

Tags:
  2. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

Does the fuel pump cycle when you turn the key on / off?
    ( can you hear it?)
    Does it try to start on starting fluid?
    ( don't do this long, it is only a test)

3. Jerry"s new F250

No, Dusty, it does not cycle. Can not hear it. Silence when cycling the key. Did not try to use starting fluid or any other because there is no pump activity.
    There is about 12 gal of gas in tank now

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
  4. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

Over in the passenger kick panel is the trip switch, see if it got tripped some how

In the main fuse panel under the hood, pull the fuel pump relay, and switch it with another one to test it with another known good one. sometimes they poop out with the pump.check by trying the key......
    Check the fuses in there with a test light.

be patient with me getting back to answer, my health is not up to par yet, but I will try to keep up with this thread

Jerry"s new F250 likes this.
  5. Jerry"s new F250

Thanks a bunch dustybumpers, I understand. I am not able to just do this internet all the time either. Sometimes I'm healthy and sometimes not but I do have too many irons in the fire. This fuel pump is on my son's pickup and has bumped in front of my fuel pump on the '02. It seems we have the same problems with our trucks maybe as sympathy...naw that can't be it. I will double check what you mentioned and thank you again.

6. Jerry"s new F250

Guess what...After checking every connection and its sister, it has been verified that the new fuel pump is faulty!! New one coming on Friday the 17th. At least it was a lot easier to remove everything the 2nd time. Meanwhile the rear brakes get renewed.

7. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

That's great news ( other than pulling the tank twice)
    Glad it's sorted out

Let us know if there is anything else

Here's my 95 f 150 with the 4.9
    2012-04-19_13-37-53_646.jpg #ad

whomrig, JWC 3 and Jerry"s new F250 like this.
  8. Jerry"s new F250

Wouldn't you know it...now it won't start...it does have good fuel pressure with the new pump. Much easier the 2nd time...I don't think it has spark so I'm working on that issue. Borrowed coil, checking connections again.

9. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

10. Jerry"s new F250

OK, this is it. Son found a broken dist. rotor. That makes sense. Now that the old one is re-installed it is running. I love it when a plan comes together! I've heard that somewhere before. Must have disturbed it when re-installing the head (this started out as a valve job) All is good with the world now and we will sleep well tonight. Thank you Mr. Dustybumpers, your help was appreciated!!

IDMooseMan and JWC 3 like this.
  11. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

No problem!
    We are here to help!

IDMooseMan and Jerry"s new F250 like this.
  12. IDMooseMan Vet Zone TOTM Winner

Isn't it amazing how one unrelated condition can be resolved when working on something else? Glad to hear you have the problem resolved.

13. Jerry"s new F250

Oh, guess what...It isn't starting again. This time "we" thought it was the starter. Luckily it was parked on an incline and were able to coast down and start it. Was able to get a loud click when trying to start it. Seemed like the starter was bad. This has happened to us many times in the last 20 years. Got a new starter from NAPA and tried it. The loud click now was louder, I guess that's better. Still no start. Just the loud click.
    It runs if 'popping the clutch' is an option, like an incline, but otherwise not. It seems that this old beater will be new again with all the work going into it. Any suggestions?? Thanks!

14. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

Check the solenoid on the fender. And all battery cable connections.

15. Jerry"s new F250

Sounds too simple (ha) I definitely will. Thank you

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >