Odd Shifting "08"

Discussion in '2004 - 2008 Ford F150 Truck Forum' started by oldtruckmechanic, Dec 29, 2015.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. oldtruckmechanic

I have an 08 F150 with a 5.4 and 4r75e transmission. This thing appears to be shifting into od at 30mph and into third at 60. When it shifts at 30 if I turn off the od it shifts back and then shifts again at 40. If I turn the od back on at any point it immediately shifts into od. Bought this truck used from ford dealer. It has shifted like this since I got it. Any ideas?

Tags:
  2. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Hi and welcome to Ford Truck Zone.

I want to make sure I understand correctly... it shifts into OD at 30, then shifts out of OD back down into 3rd at 60?

3. oldtruckmechanic

It shifts into od at 30. Then it shifts again at 60. The shifts feel normal except that after the shift at 30 turning od off causes a down shift. Feels like a normal progression through the gears. The reason I discovered the od issue is that in town driving at 35, any increase in throttle causes a hard downshift. I am assuming that it is shifting into od at 30 because turning od off causes a downshift. I have worked on many makes and models of automatics but Ijust am not familiar with this one.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2015
  4. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Are you certain you're not seeing the torque converter lockup happening?

The shift pattern on these trucks are 1st to 2nd, 2nd to 3rd, 3rd lockup (which makes the RPMs drop like a gear shift but doesn't change gears), 3rd to 4th shift, then 4th lockup (again, RPM drop like a gear change).

Not my video but here's an example of another vehicle doing it

Half those RPM changes are not gear changes, they are torque converter lock/unlock.

If it's not the torque converter you're seeing, something like a bad speed sensor or ABS sensor can cause shifting at the wrong speeds.

5. whomrig TOTM Winner Founding Member Southwest Chapter

I have to ask, how many miles on the odometer?

6. oldtruckmechanic

I feel the shift at 15, then between 25 and 30 another shift. Then about 45 another shift then at 60 big rpm drop. All this feels normal other than the fact that after the shift at 30 turnung od off causes a downshift. Also at road speed, 65-70, slight throttle pressure causes what feels like converter unlock and immediate relock. The thing that got me looking at the shift pattern was the hard downshift when running at 35 and lightly increasing speed.

7. oldtruckmechanic

119000 I bought it at 78000 from a ford dealer and it has always shifted this way. I do not do much driving in town and I just never noticed the hard downshift at 35.

8. whomrig TOTM Winner Founding Member Southwest Chapter

While I don't know much about the 4r75e transmission, I am a believer in changing the transmission fluid at recommended intervals. This may have an effect on the transmission performance. Do you know the service history on the truck?

9. oldtruckmechanic

No service history.

10. whomrig TOTM Winner Founding Member Southwest Chapter

I would take a look at the transmission fluid for color and smell to see if the fluid maybe needs to be changed.
    That may help though in my opinion the shift points you indicated don't seem out of line to me.

11. 57FordGuy Founding Member

I was under the impression that transmission fluid really never needed changing. Is this a DYI or shop job? Is there a YouTube video that might explain it?

12. whomrig TOTM Winner Founding Member Southwest Chapter

It has been my experience that transmission fluid will break down. My 2000 factory service schedule calls for transmission fluid changes at 30k intervals
    I had a shop do mine as I am not able to get under my rig to service the transmission.
    Maybe there is a video on youtube for a transmission service.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2016
  13. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Ford claims it's maintenance free, but that's basically their way of being able to claim the truck has lower maintenance costs than it really does. Every 10 degrees hotter halves the life of the fluid. So it only takes one high overheating event to completely kill the lifespan of the fluid. For non-synthetic I'd do 25K changes (30k is good too!). If it's full synthetic you can double that. In my case I run John Deere hydraulic fluid in my transmission, but it's a special situation. :)

It's pretty easy. You just need a replacement gasket, fluid, a pan that will hold a LOT of fluid (15 quart pan ought to do it) and a replacement filter. First time will probably take you 45 minutes, mostly making sure you get it done right, but once you learn it then it's a 20 minute job. If you want to take it on yourself, say the word and I'll put together a quick How-To article.

whomrig likes this.
  14. 57FordGuy Founding Member

Most sites I've seen talking about a pan drop/filter change only displaces 3 or 4 qts. of fluid. Of course since I bought used I have no idea if there has been any transmission PM. I'm sure I'm going to wait until there's no winter storm warnings in the near future.

15. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

You can get most of the fluid out with a pan drop if you also drain the torque converter (there's a spot on the housing to get to it).

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >