oil filter leaking

Discussion in '1953 - 1956 Ford F100, F250 and F350 Truck Forum' started by red 55, Jan 30, 2024.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. red 55

hello all,
    if i can get some help here PLEASE.
    I have a 1955 ford f-100. i cannot get the oil filter canister to stop leaking. i have tried everything wondering if i need to try and find a new bolt or is there another way? finding the bolt may not be easy.

thanks

Tags:
  2. RP67F100

Please know I’m not questioning your knowledge or ability, but did you by chance forget to take the old gasket out of the cap or from the bolt? I’ve done it
    before.
    Also make sure there is no burrs or sharp edges that might be cutting the seal, has the top been over tightened previously possibly deforming it?
    Just ideas to check

3. red 55

Thanks for the response. I appreciate any response I get. I don't get offended. let me ask is there only one gasket on the cap/bolt rubber or brass. mine had a rubber gasket on it. thank you for the suggestions.

4. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Possibilities I can think of:

Warped canister sealing surface.
    Warped sealing surface on the engine side.
    Over tightened.
    Under tightened.
    Bag gasket.
    Doubled gasket.
    Very high oil pressure from a stuck pressure relief valve. What kind of PSI are you getting?

5. red 55

I will check into the 6 possibilities oil pressure around 40 psi according to my original dash gauge.

6. iicap

So your new filter cartridge kit had , a filter, composite washer to go on the bolt first, bolt against the canister, then inside a spring on the bolt, spring may have a metal washer to go against a rubber washer, then the cartridge onto the bolt. Gasket to the block is flat, may be rubber or composite, be sure block surface is clean, nothing left over from previous gasket. If the gasket is rubber or composite, install the gasket DRY. You want the canister to bite into the gasket and not push it if slippery from oil on it. Make sure the canister is seated clearly in its gasket bore. Cap.

FTZ HAIC likes this.
< Previous Thread | Next Thread >