Oil leak on 2000 7.3

Discussion in '1997 - 2003 Ford F150 Truck Forum' started by sandtaz, Mar 28, 2016.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. sandtaz

This is my first post to this forum so be gentle. I have a 2000 7.3 with approx 230k on the clock. It has developed an oil leak. First thought it was right side valve cover but upon inspection found oil in the valley pan. Read somewhere that it might be coming from the turbo. Any suggestion on how to find where it is coming from. Thanks.

Tags:
  2. KW5413 Vet Zone Texas Chapter Founding Member

Why you dirt.... oh, wait, that is not until your second post. Sorry, got ahead of myself. ;)

Welcome to FTZ. Glad you stopped by. We have some pretty experienced 7.3 guys around here so they should get back with you soon.

Enjoy!

3. clux Article Contributor Founding Member

Could be a number of places, first suspect would be the exhaust back pressure valve actuator on the turbo pedestal.

pedestal.png #ad

4. F350-6 Vet Zone Texas Chapter Founding Member

Big leak or little leak?

First step in finding the leak is to clean things up a bit. Find your preferred cleaner like simple green or whatever, and spray it around the engine and dump some in the valley when warm (not too hot) with some water. Then take a garden hose and using low pressure water, see if you can wash most of that oil out of the valley.

Once the big puddles of oil are gone, grab some white rags. Place one down in the front of the valley so it will catch oil from the HPOP area. Place another around each HPOP line where it goes into the head near the middle of the motor. Place one in front of and behind the turbo. Keep the rags from touching any exhaust or moving parts, then start the engine and let it run long enough that you think it will leak some.

Inspect each rag and use that to narrow down the leak location. O-rings or the mentioned EBPV valve are the common leaks. Congrats for not automatically assuming it was a rear main seal leak like so many others do.

5. Campspringsjohn Founding Member

Welcome to FTZ! Not to be rude, but are you sure it's oil? It may be a fuel leak as well. Mine was leaking what I thought was oil until I really looked, and smelled. (one thing about the old diesel fuel of yesteryear was that it had a more distinctive smell!) Mine was fuel, and was caused by the fuel lines being loose.

56panelford likes this.
  6. sandtaz

The drips sure look and smell like oil, but I will check the fuel lines. Thanks.

7. sandtaz

I will try the rags after cleaning. At this point not sure what to wish for. Any fix sounds like it might be difficult. Thanks.

8. clux Article Contributor Founding Member

There's not much on theses engines that's very difficult to fix.

9. sandtaz

Now that is best news I have had in a week. Thanks.

10. sandtaz

Did the rags. Sure is not much space under there. Used my spring loaded retriever to spread the rag as best I could. The only spot that came out was on the right (passenger) rear of the engine. Drove the truck for about five miles and the oil spot was about the size of a fifty cent piece. Would have done it sooner, but we had gusts of about 40mph here yesterday. Thanks for all your help.

11. clux Article Contributor Founding Member

That sure sounds like the turbo pedestal to me.

12. sandtaz

Would that be the o-rings in the pedestal? Is there anyway to view the area without disconnecting everything?

13. clux Article Contributor Founding Member

No I would still believe it's most likely the exhaust back pressure valve actuator. any way you can take a picture of the pedestal and post it?

14. F350-6 Vet Zone Texas Chapter Founding Member

Agreed. It's not easy taking a picture, but it can be done. Most of the time by just shoving the camera down there and pushing the button while moving the camera until you get the right shot.

EBPV dirty.JPG #ad

EBPV clean.JPG #ad

FTZ HAIC likes this.
  15. sandtaz

I'll give it a try. Thanks.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >