Oil requirement for a 7.3L IDI

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by jduvall24, Nov 16, 2018.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. jduvall24

Looking for the oil change requirements for a 7.3L IDI. What is the quantity, what type of oil do you all prefer, any additive to oil, fuel and oil filter brand preference etc.

Tags:
  2. 1970something TOTM Winner Founding Member

11-12 quarts oil, i use valvoline all fleet 15-40. but any good diesel rated oil will work fine. additives are not necessary.
    you do have to test the ph level of the coolant and add SCA to the coolant though. this can be purchased from ford, or from NAPA i use the NAPA products because they are closer than the ford dealer
    SCA from NAPA: PAF HD20016 16 ounce bottle:$5.99 you may need 2
    oil filter i use is NAPA # FIL-1742, $23
    fuel filter i use NAPA # FIL-3417, $49.50 this is a one piece filter replaced the water separator on the filter which tends to leak.
    when changing the fuel filter, fill it up with diesel fuel or automatic transmission fluid before putting it on, it helps bleed the air out of the system so you do not dry start the engine and air bind it.
    once airbound, it is a bear to reprime.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
  3. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

I did away with the lift pump on all my IDI's. and use an electric fuel pump.
    Make sure to use a regulator and keep it at 6-7 lbs. You also need a cut off switch from a fuel injected car from the 85-91 gas trucks to shut the pump off in case of an accident

I still use Shell Rotella 15 w 40 In the IDI's

4. jduvall24

Fuel pump is working fine for now. So prolly won’t change it until she goes out. Keep at least a quarter of a tank in each tank at all times. So 13 qts is good? I read that the powerstrokes take 15 but it is a totally different engine, so i just have to keep remembering that in my head. Looking at doing motor craft oil and fuel filters anyone know the part number off hand?

5. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

I always run lubrafiner on mine, so no help there. sorry

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
Tags:
virtuoso