Oil Seepage

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Paul Masley, Jun 18, 2015.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. Paul Masley Founding Member

I have a problem that I cannot figure out. I have a 4.6L in my 2005 Crown Vic. I am getting oil seepage in the plug galleries for cylinders 5 and 6. Also, every once in a while, I hear a noise coming from the same bank on cold/hot startup. It sounds like a valve train rattle. Any ideas? Thanks gang.

Tags:
  2. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

I'd suspect the valve cover gasket or the rubber grommets under the valve cover where each bolt is, leaking around there. Also make sure the PCV valve is good, if not it could cause pressure in the engine which can cause oil leaks.

You'll see the grommets I'm talking about in this picture:
    gaskets.jpg #ad

3. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Also, I believe your 4.6L is a 3-valve.

Cam phaser noise:

If it's not that, maybe cold startup piston slap? Hard to know without hearing it. :(

4. Paul Masley Founding Member

Ken, I am just puzzled about this. The 4.6 and 5.8 are basically the same design. While at the shop having a temporary repair done (brake cleaner and air cleanout of 5 & 6), the shop had just replaced a 5.8. The short block with heads was sitting in the shop. I studied this block for quite a bit of time. The valve covers and valve timing covers were off. The plug galleries on the 5.8 is just like mine. Above the valve covers and upon checking mine, the valve covers are not leaking externally. They do not cover the plug galleries. It is very easy to take the COPS off and look down into the galleries. I replaced all of the boots on the left bank the last time in the shop after cleaning out the galleries. I found moisture in 7, but the boot was cracked and deformed. Earlier 8 was completely flooded with clear water. It was not antifreeze. Problems with 7 & 8 have not returned, but I am waiting for the miss to start and a Check Engine light to come on. The noise is definately valve train and inspection of it does not reveal anything. There is no slop, not even in the chain and the engine has 185K on it.

I am just wondering if I have a head crack between 5 & 6 allowing the oil to seep and also causing a dry start in the front of the valve train.

5. kermmydog Southwest Chapter

Paul the oil is in the plug hole, around the boot? Is that what I hearing? You said a 5.8, I think you mean a 5.4L. The 4.6L, 5.4L & 6.8L are all Mod motors & look the same except the 6.8L is a V10.
    The 5 & 6 are the first & second cylinders on the drivers side. My guess is the V/C seeping, As Ken said check your PVC.
    185K on a Crown Vic 4.6 is not that many miles. My 99 Crown Vic P71 has 163K. I would think if the head was cracked you would see where the oil was coming from. It would have to be above the plug if understand you correctly.

6. Paul Masley Founding Member

Kermmy, I did say 5.8 when I meant 5.4. The oil is in the plug hole and in #5 it was 3/4's of an inch deep. I did place die in the oil and did not find any leakage from the cover. We di torque the cover down on the last repair and the problem has not re-occurred. I have not seen any leakage in the actually well. I just cannot figure out where it is coming from. I will check the PCV. I do think that I have a tensioner going bad on the left bank (same side) as I do hear valve train noise from time to time. It does sound like a chain slap but it is only momentary. It slaps and is gone. I have been told to put a little foam in it right before the next oil change just in case I have a bit of a gallery blockage.

7. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

I didn't see your replies to me until now, sorry about that!

Is that momentary slap when it's cold or hot?

On the oil issue, other than oil getting past those seal or oil draining down there from an external source, I know of no other way for oil to get into the spark plug valleys.

8. Paul Masley Founding Member

Yeah, but it happens warm or cold. I am going to stop worrying about the oil seepage at the moment unless it happens again. I have been fighting it for almost two years but as of now, all gaskets have been replaced and retorqued and it has not returned. The chain slap has me puzzled for now, but it has been there since I bought the car. It does not happen all the time.

9. kermmydog Southwest Chapter

One thing I find helpful is I went to 15-45 oil. Depending what weight oil you are using you might try going a little heavier or add a half a quart of Lucas, see if that helps with valve train noise. I use a little oil that helped. But I just looked at my PCV valve & ordered a new one. I had to order a valve for a 4.6L F150. The replacements for the Crown Vic except for the Motorcraft valve from Rockauto.com are different than mine. I checked NAPA, Autozone, & O'Reillys. So I ordered one for an F150 from my local NAPA. It will be here tomorrow.

10. Paul Masley Founding Member

Craig, that is an idea about the oil. I am using the high mileage oil from Mobil, but do not remember the weight. Due to the rain, I have not been able to check the PCV but am planning on it.

11. kermmydog Southwest Chapter

Paul,
    I think most of the Crown Vic/Marques 4.6L call for something like 5-30. I guess that would be great with a newer car. But as they get higher mileage things wear. Like I said I run 15/45 or 20/50 whichever is on sale. I run Motorcraft oil filters. I never have figured out the PCV valves going bad unless the get gummed up. But the one on my CV is 15 years old & 163,000 miles. So I just put on a new one. $5-$7 is worth it to me to just install a new one. On mine I had to get a PCV for a 4.6L F150 to get the straight valve without the F fittings that for whatever reason they call for that one. To use the one they call for would mean a mod to hose.

12. NRA4ever Founding Member

They call for 5-20 . I use Motorcraft filters & Mobil 1 full synthetic oil. I've never had a oil leak on the 3 cars I've owned. I hope this one never leaks.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
virtuoso