Old's Kool '61 Unibody Build

Discussion in 'Ford Truck Builds' started by Fabson, May 1, 2015.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. Fabson Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Finally, after too many years counting, I'm gonna start a thread on this thing!

Sorting through the pics I can find.... and the data I can recollect, lol, a story I shall attempt to convey.

High school, circa 1996, Conversing with friends of cars in study hall one says to me "my mom has a truck for sale". I say "cool, what kind."

That weekend my girlfriends mom drove us 17 miles to investigate. After I convinced the owner to drop the price $20:D, I removed the broken clutch linkage arm and returned home. Dad to the rescue! The afore (and henceforth) mentioned father, the repaired item, and I return to the valley of the broken Ford. While dad enticed with lore from previous (old Ford) plunders, with greasy fingers and thorns in the back of my shirt, I forked over nine twenty dollar bills, fired it up, and putted on back at 40 mph......with a full tank of gas too!

Still locating early shots:banghead:.....but for now, here is the frame I started with (note the liberal lubing of the front rails) original springpacks, 6 leafs front, 8 regular and 6 overloads per side rear:jawdrop: replaced with monoleaf 4" dropped springs front and rear. And a Dana 60, 3.54:1 gears, and limited slip donated by dad!:woot: Uni 14.jpg #ad

Tags:
    67nukeford and 56panelford like this.
  2. 56panelford TOTM Winner Founding Member Canadian Chapter

Looking forward to this thread Harley

3. pirahnah3 Founding Member

wow thats a cool story to go with the truck. Looking forward to seeing more of her.

4. Fabson Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Donor truck: 1956 F600 dump truck. I bought the motor which "had been recently rebuilt then the brakes went out", he also threw in the whole cab and front end. The only acception, he got the transmission with the PTO for his OTHER dump truck. Deal. Oh, I had to remove them all myself, of course.
    footnote: he also had a tractor and an afternoon to kill. SCORE!
    [Dad to the rescue again with the wrecker and flatbed trailer!]
    I opened it up, everything was in great condition having barely 2K (estimated) miles. After I gave all the parts a good once over, new gaskets, paint, new (chinese knock off) valve covers with Interceptor logos. 292 with .040 over pistons, ECR-A heads, stock cam (for now), 1.54:1 rockers, Reds headers, tri-power (more info on that later): Uni 13.jpg #ad

Note the sturdy frame sections.....

Sick6 and 56panelford like this.
  5. Fabson Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Little side note the engine has more than 20K miles on since my overhaul, the only difference: 1956 ECZ-9425-B 4 barrel manifold and........ S4025262.JPG #ad

....this 390-465 cfm now residing on my rotary.....only mods, slightly smaller jets and oil injection.

6. Fabson Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Right. Right. Back to the Ford!

Back from the sandblasters! Uni 9.jpg #ad

From here the fill plates can be seen from each side of the front mount to the transmission crossmember....

7. 56panelford TOTM Winner Founding Member Canadian Chapter

Nice job on the motor Harley.

8. Fabson Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Thanks John!
    I could go big block and IFS, but that horrid front crossmember needed to be addressed too! Uni 10.jpg #ad

The powerplan is for a Y-block, pickup bellhousing, and a T-5 Tremec. Hence the stock mounts.

Cardboard templates were made and transferred to 1/8" plate and fitted to the inside of the rails. A strip was added on the top to cover the huge factory hole from the 6 cyl mount (V8 mount transplanted from a donor parts motor with the crossmember still attatched! The PO must've loved to play with a torch), also plated the lower area in front of it to continue the solid theme. Those Y-blocks with no side mounts have a unique simple look. Uni 12.jpg #ad

Not sure 'bout brand, but epoxy primer was applied with fiber strand (fiberglass impregnated, waterproof) body filler for moulding/shaping.

9. Fabson Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Here's another after I smoothed the front of the heads, added chromed valley cover, and handmade fuel block mount.
    Uni 21.jpg #ad

Sick6 and 56panelford like this.
  10. 67nukeford Founding Member

That motor is gorgeous, Harley!

11. 56panelford TOTM Winner Founding Member Canadian Chapter

That it is Pat, he did a very nice job.

12. Fabson Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Thanks guys! This motor isn't the final version though.

Stroked 312 crank/rods, oversized 312 pistons (in search of),
    1956 ECZ 292 block, ECZ-G heads, tinwork (in possesion of),
    Port and polish, high lift cam, balanced to 7K (hopefully)
    ....Maybe a chrome oil pan too?....It'll help reflect the chromed and drilled front axle....:cool:

13. Fabson Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Photo062.jpg #ad

1957 Offy manifold and three Ford 94's purchased bare and unpolished for $250 @ Portland swap meet.

Manifold polish, $175, carbs $35 ea.
    Carbs rebuilt, 1-1/16" bore on all three, longer throttle shafts, progressive linkage.

Sick6 likes this.
  14. Fabson Oregon Chapter Founding Member

And now, the frame IN COLOR!
    The inside of the rails were sprayed with Body Shutz undercoating then painted.
    I couldn't find a cololr I liked, so I had them mix this "custom chrome yellow". Uni 15.jpg #ad
    Uni 16.jpg #ad
    Uni 17.jpg #ad

Nice lil' hole in the right rail....
    Photo053.jpg #ad

....3/4" EMT tubing frenched in for the fuel line from the hidden pump and regulator....

56panelford likes this.
  15. BKW Founding Member

B6A-6108-D .. .040 312 Piston / Obsolete

1956/57 Ford/Thunderbird / 1957 Ford/Thunderbird with Supercharger.

No Ford dealer or obsolete parts vendor has any.

Try Egge Machine Shop in Santa Fe Springs CA - egge.com

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >