ONLY REVERSE ?

Discussion in '1997 - 2003 Ford F150 Truck Forum' started by 5.4 EXPEDITION, Nov 16, 2016.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. 5.4 EXPEDITION

I have a 99 expedition 2wd. Never had any transmission problems. I was idling in my drive way and had to back out to let someone in I pulled back in went to leave and no forward gears. messed with the linkage shifted it back n forth nothing. about a week later went out there started it worked fine for about a month. now I have the same problem. I dropped the pan fluid was pretty dirty no shavings of any kind. Im about to put in new filter and fluid any thing I should do while I have the pan off ? can anyone tell me what the problem could be ?

Tags:
  2. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

I would have it diagnosed.
    A good shop can test and find the problem.

3. macman_85602

What was the fluid level when it stopped working?

4. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

I am not a transmission guy (except from a PCM calibration standpoint) but I'll hazard a guess. The transmission even though it is electronically controlled goes into forward or reverse through a manual linkage which activates a valve to go into forward or reverse. The forward drum isn't getting fluid or pressure for some reason so it's either a sticking value, not enough fluid, drum going out or the seals. Which one specifically, and how to repair... one of our mechanics on the site can probably answer that.

5. 5.4 EXPEDITION

It was full. Its never leaked a drop or showed any sign of failure. Someone told me they put plastic sprag gears in them and sometimes strip. Has anyone heard of that

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >