Opening door noise

Discussion in '2015 - 2020 Ford F150 Truck Forum' started by tentruck, Nov 25, 2018.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. tentruck

Hoping someone can help identify this noise on a 2018 F150 crew cab XLT. Dealer says it is "normal" yet no trucks on the lot nor in any other posts reflect this issue so I am suspicious. The dealership was not able to tell me what it is.

When I open the driver side door after the truck has been off for at least 30 minutes there are several quick "pulse" sounds that come in rapid succession within 1 seconds time from somewhere under the passenger/rear area of the truck. This occurs just when and specifically upon opening the driver side door. Passenger doors don't cause the sound to occur.
    Once the sound occurs it can't be reproduced unless the truck sits off for about 30 minutes or more.
    Here is a youtube video I took to help explain it and show it as it occurs.

Hoping someone can shed some light on what this is and if it something "normal" like I am being told.
    NOTE: no aftermarket on this truck. All factory stock.

Tags:
  2. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Ford programmed in a fuel pump prime when the driver's side door is opened. If it sits for a while and coolant temp gets under 140 degrees then it will prime the pump. There's a return line from the pump, and it can pulse from the prime, and if its touching anything like the tank it'll make this noise. Lot of people with 2018 F150's and Expeditions are experiencing this, I don't know if they have a TSB out yet to address it but I believe the dealer can turn it off.

tentruck likes this.
  3. tentruck

Thank you for the reply and explanation. This helps ease my mind a bit. That said, it is an annoyance. Hoping they come up with a TSB at some point as you mention. This along with the automatic engine shut off on idle at traffic seem to be short sighted in term of minor gains for what I believe lead to long term problems.

4. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

You can use forscan to turn off shut off/ restart at idle

tentruck likes this.
  5. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Forscan is a great tool for these trucks, or for that matter, any Ford vehicle it supports. There are a lot of things you can change with it that normally requires a dealer and some things the dealer can't change.

tentruck likes this.
  6. tentruck

I love this forum and truly appreciate the insight. Looks like FORScan can open a whole new world for me to play with. Thank you.

dustybumpers likes this.
  7. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Happy to help! I don't know why Ford decided to switch to a fuel pump prime strategy which pulses the pump, they've been doing a straight up pump for 3 decades. It probably would have shown up in earlier trucks had they did that.

Just in case:
    https://forscan.org/home.html

Its takes a little bit of a learning curve, but they have good support forums there. You have to register it to unlock some of the items, but registration is free.

https://forscan.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=836 Here's the licensing info.

You also have to purchase an ELM327, which plugs into the diagnostic port. This is at the bottom of the dash pash under the steering wheel, if its the same as earlier trucks it will be under the center. ELM327 devices are cheap, but don't buy the cheapest (nor the most expensive). Shoot for one around $30. Its well worth it since you can use it as a diagnostic code scanner on most cars and trucks.

You can get them with bluetooth, WiFi or USB connections. USB will have the fastest data logging. WiFi or bluetooth is a good choice if you ever want to use a tablet, Android or iPhone with one of the free scanner programs, and if your Windows laptop has bluetooth/wifi.

https://forscan.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6142&hilit=elm327

This one, looks like a few people with newer Fords have had success with them, including 2018 F150:

8. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

I went with USB, so I could use the lap top

FTZ HAIC likes this.
< Previous Thread | Next Thread >