SYNC CONNECT 2017 F2350 PSD

Discussion in '2017 - 2022 Ford F250+ Super Duty Forum' started by wrencheswild, Jan 2, 2021.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. wrencheswild

I have a 2017 F250 PSD. I have the FORD PASS app but my truck clearly does not have the required modem (APIM?) or what have you to receive the signal from app over cellular network to start truck. I have tried to find information about what is exactly needed to update my truck. I assume some hardware will be required. I had the SYNC head unit swapped in 2016 Ford Edge to one that had navigation ($1100 if I remember right). When I look online I see FordPass has a OBDII plug in that allows the app to connect with Truck but I am looking for the permanent upgrade. I know I can call the dealership I just prefer to know at least a little bit about what I am asking. Any help or links would be appreciated

Martin53 likes this.
  2. ifallsguy

I'm not sure your truck is capable of working with Ford Pass as delivered from the factory. One question is what version of Sync 3 are you running? I think it has to be at least 3.2.

You might want to read this article from CNET which talks about 2010 to 2017 Ford vehicles not being equipped to use Ford Pass and to do so requires a factory modem to give you LTE coverage, which is what Ford Pass uses.

FordPass SmartLink turns your older Ford into a connected car - Roadshow (cnet.com)

3. wrencheswild

Yeah i have looked at the smartlink. It plugs into the OBDII. So no snapshot by progressive. I am even interested in having the modem installed. I will check on sync3 version

4. wrencheswild

Update. Some guy blew a light and I hit him in intersection. Totaled both vehicles. I got my fordpass via a 2021 F250 King Ranch 6.7l. Man the truck shortage now is insane. I looked high and low and just couldn't find EXACTLY what I wanted. I literaly could have custom ordered one cheaper than what I paid for mine, but 12-16 weeks they say. I have heard horror stories of guys who ordered in October still haven't received their truck yet. Chips, Coronavirus idk.

5. BigBlue Vet Zone

HIPE! BS< and Political CONTROL! Wouldn't it be nice if we could all tell the Auto makers to GO TO H*&%% for a year and see how long their shortage really takes to "FIX ITSELF!" We are living in a time of TYRANNY!

wrencheswild and DonW like this.
  6. DonW

Damn!! thats too bad. Sure am glad you're o'k..

7. DonW

Read my avatar!!

8. Biffster

I can run Ford Pass on my I phone (2017 F250) I have to have the Edge display unit unplugged from to OBD port and the Apple Play turned off. I had Sync 3 it worked with. Upgraded to Sync 3.2(?) and it still works. I only use it once in a great while to see when my truck is coming close for an oil change.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >