Ordered our truck last night, odd outcome however?

Discussion in '2017 - 2022 Ford F250+ Super Duty Forum' started by Eric1959, Oct 21, 2021.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. Eric1959

We placed our truck order at a dealer where we live yesterday. Salesman said they were a "Ford preferred" dealer. He told us that what will happen is they'll submit the order to Ford, take a $1000 refundable deposit and when the truck arrives, that's when we'll do the price negotiations and further down payment if we want.

They kept the build price as shown on Ford site. He said that's how we order vehicles, if you change your mind when the truck gets here, it's no big deal as they'll keep it on the lot to sell, and refund our 1k down. I have that in writing btw.

So, is this type of sale normal?? From all the research I've done, they say ordering is the same as if the vehicle was on the lot, you haggle if possible, then see the Finance person, set a price, down payment, and financing.

We needed to get this order in as soon as possible, but we can wait till next spring if need be to take possession of it but we needed to get the pricing set. We have 2 other email offers in 2 different states. We also have a Ford X plan pin available to use which we hope will still be valid later.

Tags:
  2. wrencheswild

I ordered a truck. They gave me the price based on site build. They said trade financing etc will take place when the truck arrives. I also put down a 500 refundable deposit. I ordered a platinum and when I called the dealership to cancel the order because it has been 2 months and not even scheduled. Meanwhile I now have 15k miles on my trade in. I was willing to loose 15-20k but am not going to loose 30-40 becasue they cant produce them fast enough. Hell y 21 king ranch will do

3. DonW

That’s howI feel about my 20 XLT..

4. KTM

As far as I understood, our price was locked in when we placed the order. That was fine with me as the truck as we wanted it was less than lesser trucks already on the lot.

5. mrbraq

No deposit for me. They said they didn't need one unless I built a truck they'd have a hard time selling. And the price was quoted when I ordered it. Dont think I'd like negotiating after it arrived. That'd take some of the fun out of waiting for it

6. wrencheswild

Well dealer said they would send back my deposit anytime i wanted. I decided to wait and see what I can get for my truck when it is time to purchase. Feb 7th with my price "locked"? in at 88 I should do all right I just got a 77k offer from vroom. So the used price is going even higher that I may end up ok, ANNND the factory has taken sooo long in building truck that I will have had Ford stock for the required 6 months when the truck gets to dealership.... so if the price wasn't locked in I at least have the xpricing to fall back on.

7. ifallsguy

I asked my dealer about these types of deals and was told the following:

Ford will build the vehicle for the person who put down the deposit and ordered the truck. If the truck is sold to someone else, rather than the individual who placed the order, there are major penalties by Ford. They include (but are not all) loose any special placement they have in ordering vehicles, fines, possiblity of the withdrawl of their franchise with Ford.

I had joked I would have them order a truck and decline it when it arrived. The dealer told me they won't play that game (though it would get them a truck which would come in with everything people around here normally order). They want to keep their reputation with both their customers and Ford.

If I was a dealer for any manufacturer, I wouldn't want to threaten my business by trying to game the system. They also lock in the price when the order is placed. When I ordered my 2020, the price was locked in and I was given a trade value for my 2019 F-150. 6 months and 4300 miles later I was given a trade in more than $5000 more than originally, the price was fixed and my X-plan was figured in. Total out of my pocket, after all pricing, incentives, trade and X-plan was less than $28,000 out of pocket on a $74,000 truck sticker priced truck.

I suggest you find a dealer who will lock in pricing, give you whatever best incentives (if any) and a guaranteed minimum trade value (assuming no additional damage and reasonable mileage).

I've already locked in the price for my wife's Bronco, with the options she wants. And a guaranteed minimum trade value for her 2019 Edge. And the dealer has already offered a lot more if we were to trade it in now plus give her a loaner until her Bronco arrives (about 4 months). Apparently, there is a lot of demand for her Edge. The loaner offered right now is a Mustang, but she wants to keep the Edge for now.

mrbraq likes this.
  8. ScottK

That's a bunch of nonsense. I'd go to a different dealer. You negotiate up front or have them agree to take x-plan. They don't have to accept it. Preferred is irrelevant. Customer orders are put in through COVP which give any dealer an extra allocation for that order. It is NOT the same as buying off the lot. Not even close.

9. wrencheswild

Thanks for the reply.

I feel like my price got locked in. I am not sure about X-pricing as my stock was purchased Aug 26th so I have to wait until Feb 26th for 6 months. Truck starts production Feb 7th. Figure 1 week on the line then maybe 2 weeks to the dealership... That is my hope... Even if they don't give me X pricing the price locked in was 88k and like you said used prices are stupid. I had Vroom offer 78k for the truck.

I did not think about the trade and loaner thing. I may call the dealership and see if they want that option... but I still ahve a not on this truck. So in order to sell it they would ahve to pay it off... I guess we just complete the paperwork and I wait for the truck...

Feel like I will end up paying less than $1 per mile on this truck when I trade it for the new one.

The dealership themselves were really easy to work with and it comes with lifetime powertrain warranty. Just gambling ill sell it before stuff starts breaking i guess.. (Theymay be right)

10. cdumasfishing

I ordered a 2022 f 250 in september was givin the price as you have to build your order ! Then they looked at my trade was a 2016 f 250 that they gave me way way to much for ! Then we had price with trade i gave them 1 k down they told me 10 weeks in 3 weeks i got a vin number means truck is scheduled to be built 3 weeks later truck arrived !

11. ifallsguy

If I remember correctly, the 6 months minimum is when the vehicle is delivered. Make sure you fill out the form and email at 6 months plus 1 day. The dealer needs the verification X-plan form when you make the purchase. You might want to tell the dealer a few days before delivery you either have the email verification or still waiting for it. They have to have it in hand when they fill out all the paperwork.

wrencheswild likes this.
  12. wrencheswild

Thank you!! Yeah it is going to be pretty close but I think I should have it. Feb 26th is my 6 months. Build is scheduled for Feb 7th currently but it will probably be on the line for a week, plus waiting to ship etc. If I have to Ill drag with the dealership a couple of days. I am currently out of state in Louisiana buying in Virginia that has got to be good for a couple of days.

13. ifallsguy

Just curious, how did it work out?

14. ScottK

OP did it completely wrong. Why you dredging a 2 year old thread up?

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >