Overdrive not working

Discussion in '1987 - 1991 Ford F150, F250 and F350 Truck Forum' started by Hwaydriver, Jul 9, 2020.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. Hwaydriver

I have a 1990 Full size bronco, 351 Windsor, e4od transmission. My overdrive button is on dash, light stays on even when I push it. I already changed transmission fluid and filter. My speedometer was jumping, so i changed the speedometer gears and speedometer cable on transfer case. Shifting better but again no overdrive. What else can be wrong?

Tags:
  2. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

I don't remember for that year, but is the O/D light a "O/D Off" or "O/D On" light? If it's failed to off, I'd suspect the button or the wiring from it. Get a multimeter to test the function of the button.

3. Hwaydriver

I also forgot to put, I tested my switch and spent $20 for a good used one from Ebay, just to be on safe side and it tested good but still didn't work.

4. captchas

the e4od was a upgraded C6 with a od added made from 1985 to 1997 when ford transitioned to the 4r100 the early ones were prone to many issues esp.the range sensor on the side by the shift linkage on the ones made before 1995 .

i would have a GOOD nearby transmission shop check it out as auto tranies are not for the home mechanic to play with

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >