Panther Air Ride

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Paul Masley, Jun 19, 2016.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. Paul Masley Founding Member

I can usually figure out an electrical gremlin, but this one has me stumped. The panther air ride I love because it does make the car ride smooth and when I load it, it will adjust the height and bring the handle back.

As I stated in the ASE string, I have done a test light and hot power jump, checked relays and fuses and all appear to be fuctioning. I know there is a left door reset and it had been done along with a battery disconnect in an attempt to do a hard reset. I did replace the LCM a few months back and have heard that it also controls the air ride.

Any ideas before I have to go to the stealership would be great.

Tags:
  2. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

What year, and what is it doing or not doing?

56panelford and dustybumpers like this.
  3. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

Yes, there are 3 different systems......

4. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

I have worked on many air ride systems, Ford to Volvo.
    Yes, this ain't a road truck. ..,
    Needs to know what system you have.

56panelford likes this.
  5. Paul Masley Founding Member

Sorry for the delay. It is on a 2005 Crown Vic Limited Edition Sport with added police pack. It is a strange combo but it belonged to an undercover Kentucky Colonel (not KFC LOL). The system is not activating like it used to. Before when I filled up and started it with the d/s door open, it would start and I could feel it raise the car. The bags are inflated, but it is riding lower in the ass than it should and it is affecting it's handling.

6. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

How bout the height sensor adjustment. ..

56panelford likes this.
  7. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

See if this works. ...
    0622161653.jpg #ad
    yup I can post pictures again. DON'T. USE AVAST !! It locked me out posting! !?!

dustybumpers and 56panelford like this.
  8. Paul Masley Founding Member

I am suspecting the rear sensor as the bags are inflated. I feel that it is on the low end of the sensor and I am not hearing anything. I replaced both bags last summer and had the system checked for leaks. There were no leaks. With it this low, I do not think the solenoids will open to let air out. But we all know that air will leak past rubber. That is why we have to monitor our tires. Next question, can you just get the sensor or do you have to buy the whole thing?

9. Paul Masley Founding Member

Also, I was told that there is no adjustment on the 2005. I feel that is strange. How do they set a replacement?

10. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

If no codes, I think sensor is faulty or not properly set.
    I think you can get the sensor still. Can you get codes and data? That would be helpful.

56panelford and dustybumpers like this.
  11. Paul Masley Founding Member

I do not have any codes showing and the Air Ride Light is not on. It does light up on start but goes out. How often should that thing cycle? Every start? Only when needed? It has me puzzled.

12. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

There should be a switch in the trunk to shut it off. It cycles 24/7
    The switch is still available, I have replaced it on the Town Car twice in 5 years.It never threw a code when it failed
    You and John have found the problem, while I was away!

13. Paul Masley Founding Member

So, if I cross over that switch, it would tell me if it is bad. I never thought to check that one. Give me something to do tomorrow when this damn rain stops. It is a bitch not having a garage, but one is in the future. If that is not the problem, I will holler again. Thanks.......

14. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

Should be able to raise the car with a jack, and that would make the switch engage the compressor.

Switch is on the left side on a town car, and has a swing arm. 1st time mine failed, the swing arm had ceased to make contact with the axle

Paul Masley likes this.
  15. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

See if this works . Get_007.jpg #ad
    Torque and adjustment point .
    A0051753_250.JPG #ad

56panelford likes this.
< Previous Thread | Next Thread >