Parking brake assembly help

Discussion in '1973 - 1979 Ford F100, F150, F250-F350 Truck Forum' started by blueoval100, May 14, 2015.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. blueoval100 Founding Member

Hey folks, the emergency brake on my 74 f100 wasn't working when I bought the truck so now I'm trying to get it fixed. The cables all look good but the pedal wasn't ratcheting. Removed it, cleaned it, lubed it and now it ratchets but I'm wondering how it 'springs" back in to position when you release the pressure. There's no visible spring and i don't know if there's a internal spring winding of some kind.
    Can somebody supply a picture of their "original" parking brake assembly? I'm curious to know if this is the original assembly or a replacement. If it's not original then I'll try to find one. There's a F250 unit on ebay but it is definitely not the same. If you know of a good diagram please post a link. I'll take a pic of mine later today and post it. Thanks !!

Tags:
  2. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

The pedal has no spring, and will sit on the floor until it is all hooked up.
    the spring is in the shoes, and on the cable in the drum brake. Once you have everything together, and adjusted up right, it keeps itself tight.
    upload_2015-5-14_9-7-41.jpeg #ad
    This is just a generic picture

aencrypted_tbn3_gstatic_com_images_ca5d32e49041944a79e8312987ed469c._.png #ad

RexB likes this.
  3. BKW Founding Member

I can post Ford parts catalog pics of the whole enchilada, because I haven't figured out how to post them here.

The foot operated park brake control has an internal spring, but Ford never sold it by itself, it was only furnished with the park brake control assy. 1973/75's use a different park brake control than 1976/79's.

1973/79 F100/150 2WD/4WD Regular Cab with 114" & 133" wheelbases / 1973/79 F250 2WD's with single piston caliper disc brakes and 12 1/8" x 2" rear brakes:

Front parking brake cable routes from the park brake control to the equalizer lever on the cross member. Threaded adjustment rod attaches to the lever, then to the equalizer bar that the two rear cables attach to.

On some, there's a coil spring that attaches to the lever, then to the left (driver) side rear cable.

On the backside of the bar, there's a nut that's used to adjust all three cables.

dustybumpers likes this.
  4. blueoval100 Founding Member

Thanks fellas, I'll be cleaning up the pedal assembly and putting it all back together. I'll let you know how it works out.

5. blueoval100 Founding Member

Thanks for the help folks !! All back together and YES... I have working emergency brakes. A simple matter of making sure the ratchet on the pedal assembly is working and then adjusting the tension on the cables underneath the truck at the equalizer so that you can press the pedal down and feel it "ratchet" a few clicks. When you pull the release cable it should fully disengage and the pedal will have a little "slack". For other newbies to this repair....DO NOT expect the pedal to move a long way down towards the floor to engage the brake. It really won't take many "clicks" of the ratchet nor will it take a lot of pressure to get there.
    This one is pretty simple so go for it.

Last edited: May 17, 2015
    dustybumpers likes this.
  6. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

Good deal!
    Thanks for letting us know how it turnned out

7. MIL1ION Canadian Chapter

scan0022.jpg #ad

BKW likes this.
  8. BKW Founding Member

I see that Mil1ion (Dennis) has joined and is able to post parts catalog pics. I'm unable to, why I dunno.

But Dennis, this is the Super Cab pic, I don't think the OP made mention that he had one.

The "Regular Cab" pic is illustration section 26, page 3.

Last edited: May 23, 2015
< Previous Thread | Next Thread >